Full rewire

Dru

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an electrician in to quote for the follwing:

Install electric shower
Install consumer unit
chop in some existing light switches (4)
chop in existing sockets (9)
Fit extra sockets (5)

He said that it would be more cost effective to simply rewire the whole house (3 bed 1920's semi with converted loft) and has quoted £2,400 (doesn't include cost of shower unit). This job would leave me needing to get a plasterer in to sort out the channels in the walls and the loft floor will need to be replaced as he says he'll have to pull the chipboard up.

I have tried to get other electricians to quote for the same work but they either don't return my calls or fail to turn up to an appointment (at present I think I have called 20 electricians). I managed to get one other to visit but he has so far failed to produce a quote.

So, is that quote reasonable? I liked the guy and he went out of his way to be helpful but I don't want to be swayed by that.

Sponsored Links
Can't really comment on the cost; I had a new, 12 way consumer unit, new earth rod & bonding installed (3/4 of a days work for 2 of them) & it cost me £400; but your work is obviously far more extensive! In these days of plenty, it can be difficult to get people to visit let alone quote; I had exactly the same problem!

Only advise I would give you is make sure he is qualified to do ALL of the work (i.e. some could require part P certification) & that he carries out the necessary BC notification & provides you with all of the necessary certificates of conformance otherwise you will have the devil of all problems in the future!

for this area it seems fairly reasonable, if you want to email me (click on my username) I can give you an idea or two!!

Sponsored Links
Which area of Leeds are you in?

If you pop your e-mail address in your profile I may know someone who could have a look for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back