1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

fuse or DP switch for outside door light

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by RobTi, 6 Jul 2021.

1. RobTi

RobTi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi i added an outside pir wall light at my front door with 2 gu10 led lamps fitted, so i have a scolmore triple gang modular switches with a spare way and wondered whether to fit a fuse unit rather than a dp switch.https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/scolmore-gm2047pwss-13a-fused-module-white-stainless-steel.html into this https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/click-gridpro-scp20403bs-definitytm-3-gang-gridpror-frontplates.html. i asked a while back and was told a switched fused spur but i have nowhere to fit one so asking if it was okay to fit the fuse or is it a definite no no ?
    Thanks

2. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I guess you are talking about a lighting circuit with a 6A MCB protecting it?

A DP switch will allow you to easily isolate it should it go faulty or if water gets in.
    A fuse, even at 3A is pointless. A 6A MCB will usually pop before a 3A fuse blows.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. RobTi

RobTi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    many thanks for setting me straight, yes protected by a 6A mcb, i just took the L&N from the nearest light switch.
    Thanks once again

5. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are you sure they are L & N?
    Often the blue/black wire in a light switch is a switched live, and not a neutral at all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. RobTi

RobTi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes i dropped a neutral ( 3 & e ) down to the switch from the ceiling rose as i am fitting smart relays behind the switches, thanks for pointing it out anyway.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1