fused spur unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been in the trade for 27 years doing a variety of work from residential to heavy commercial and industrial, and I've never heard of a fused spur unit? I am guessing it's a fused device used in Europe as it is noted in a proposal we have for smoke curtains by a firm located in Havant Hampshire. I have done a web search and think I know what it is, but if I could get a definative response it would be much appreciated. Their proposal specifically excludes a 240V 13A 50 Hz dedicated and maintained fused spur per power supply. Also can one be furnished at 60Hz? Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Sponsored Links
fused spur unit is just a switch with a 13amp fuse in line with the output connections of the unit. It is used in Europe generally for taking power from ring main circuits usually protected by 32amp mcb and downrating the circuit protection to whatever the new circuit requires, in your case 13 amps. this fsu would then supply your drier curtains. They are to my knowledge not frequency rated but by the sounds of it the drier curtain is requiring 50 hz and not 60hz

It is also nowadays called a "Fused-Connection Unit" , and the model with a double pole switch and an indicator lamp, is very often used as a control switch with a 13amp fuse protective device, for domestic household water heaters reated up to 3000 watts.

Sponsored Links
you say the propsal EXCLUDES using one?

is it to be installed in the UK or somewhere else? I bet they have just copied in their standard text into the proposal. 50Hz and 240v and 13A FCU are all UK standard things. Other parts of Europe don't use 13A FCUs. We like them because there are a range of standard replaceable fuses that allow you to match the protection to the thing you are connecting, up to the 3kw limit, and our wonderful ring main system saves having to run an individual fused supply to the appliance from the Consumer Unit.

Are you buying the smoke curtains, or are you a supplier?

Is the USA supply not centre tap i.e. 120v-0v-120v (60hz) or somthing like this? This is possibly why as in the uk the normal supply is not centre tap i.e. 0v-240v (50hz). A UK fsu only has one fuse in the phase connection.

This is an FCU aka FSU (fused connection unit / fused spur unit):

FCU1.gif

It shows one with a single-pole switch - most quality ones have DP switching. They are also available unswitched.

This is an example of their use - as JackC says, they are most commonly used on socket-outlet circuits to fuse down for a single appliance that is not going to be plugged in (UK appliance plugs are fused), but they can be used on any circuit where you need the same functionality.

FCU2.gif

(A "ring main" is a peculiarly British type of socket-outlet circuit)

what he nearly said said:
(A "ring main" is a unique and splendid British type of socket-outlet circuit)

I'm sure that's what you meant ;)

No - I was right first time - they're an abberation. I don't like them, I wouldn't have them by choice and I think they should be banned.

:cry:

locked to prevent hi jacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back