Gable end decorative tiles: slipping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gable end of my 70s bungalow has some fan-shaped tiles covering the "triangle" of the gable. The tiles are maybe half the size of conventional concrete roof tiles and thinner. Some of these have slipped down either due to wind, birds or maybe the nails have corroded. AFAIK there is breezeblock or bricks behind these tiles, so it should be weatherproof for the near future at least.

I've never done tiling before and am unable to get up there and have a look until 2 weeks when I can borrow a ladder. How are tiles usually fastened on? I understand they are usually hooked onto a nail and that I may need special tools to replace them?

I can see the previous owner has wedged a few tiles in place by propping them on a roof nail then wedging them in.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
they sound like plain tiles and they are hung on battens, each tile has a couple of lugs on the top and hang on the battens for vertical tile hanging every 2nd or third row should be nailed to the battens.
You may find that the few that have slipped can be just slid back up and hung back onto the battens. the fan shaped tiles at the top however are usually nailed, they shold however be right under the eaves and not exposed to too much weather, your house was built in the 70's and should have some sort of underfelt behind the tiles anyway.

the fan shaped tiles at the top however are usually nailed, they shold however be right under the eaves and not exposed to too much weather, your house was built in the 70's and should have some sort of underfelt behind the tiles anyway.

These are the ones that have slipped.
From the ground, I can't see any nails holding them. The previous owner has banged in roof nails *under* the bottom of some tiles to prop them up.
A rubber sealing strip between the topmost tiles and the eaves has also come away (birds pecking it?). I suppose I can bang some silicone sealant in here.

Mike

Moderator, edited your quote .

Use the quote button next time, like this [ quote][/quote] and whatever you want to quote in between. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back