Gable ladder and flying rafters

jcp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if this is how I SHOULD set up a flying rafter:
- Noggins (or are they sprockets?) at 600mm centres nailed to the last normal rafter and passingi through gaps in the gable end wall
- Flying rafter nailed to noggins
- Barge board nailed to flying rafter

If so:
- Should the ridge beam be long enough also to span the gable wall and have the top of the flying rafter fixed to it? or should ridge noggins be used?
- If there a limit on the noggin length (presumably 450mm to cover the gable wall plus overhang is about usual)?
- Is nailing the noggins adequate, or should they be strapped across the top?

I have seen in various places that the roofing underfelt should be nailed to the top of the barge board, the tile battens should stop 50mm short of the external edge of the barge board, and the tile undercloak should be wide enough to be held down under the battens - but should it be nailed to the flying rafter?

Sponsored Links
Your interpretation of the construction is correct.

The answers to your other points are:-

Either is ok.

There must be a limit but 450mm is about the norm.

A strap would add rigidity which is the most important thing, you don't want it to droop.

The undercloak is normally 150mm wide with 38-50mm projecting past the bargeboard, the battens are cut flush with the outside of the bargeboard and are nailed through the undercloak into the rafter additional nailing to the undercloak is desirable to ensure no gapping occurs between the undercloak and top of bargeboard.

just adding to Roofers pointers, we normally drop the ridge beam onto the internal blockwork so as not to "bridge" the timber to the out side.

Thanks for your help.

The ridge beam detail is important to me. The roof is vaulted (no ceiling joists at wallplate level), and the beam is therefore chunky (225mm by 75mm) and must be ordered specially by the woodyard. If I carry it over the gable wall to support the flying rafter I will need to order it 450mm longer (the end of the beam would still be boxed in by the bargeboard and soffit). However, if I support the flying rafter on noggins alone, then the beam can be shorter, but maybe the flying rafter will not be as well supported.

Thanks again

John

Sponsored Links
the flying rafter or barge rafter has two leaves of masonry to help support it.

thats a heck of a lot more than regular rafters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back