gaps between plasterboard too big?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

With the advice of the helpful guys on here I did plasterboard the ceiling and partition wall. And will get a plasterer to skim. I read that you should leave 5mm gaps between the plasterboard. Even though I was using small boards it was difficult to do the ceiling, and in some parts the gaps are bigger then 5mm, maybe more like 1cm. I've just bought some joint filler and tape, but it says on the filler that the gaps should not be bigger than 5mm. Next to the edge of the ceiling there are some gaps maybe 5cm wide.

I guess I should fill the larger gaps with bits of plasterboard, but what gap is acceptable? I imagine it will be difficult to screw small bits of plasterboard to the joists without it breaking up. I wondered if it would be ok just to push a thick mix of compound between the laths where there are gaps? (I've left the laths in place on the ceiling.)

Will the jointing compound stick to the laths between the gaps? ( One guy told me that plaster does not stick to wood.

Also should I apply PVA, diluted or not, before the jointing compound being as it will be in contact with the lath in some places?

Also I read that the screws should be recessed, this is fine for the wall, but when I screwed the screws into the ceiling, even flush to the surface of the plasterboard, the plasterboard started to break up and was not held securely. Therefore the screws are 1 mm or so proud of the surfce. Will this be a problem when the guy comes to skim? (I tried nails at first, but these went straight through the board). I've used screws at the recommended intervals, even a bit closer in parts.

Thank you for any help.

Amanda :)

Sponsored Links
Firstly dont concern yourself with the gaps... a good spread will curse some about the shoody boarding but he will take care of the gaps to no adverse affect, bit of stiff skim and 4" skrim doubled up ... as for the screws they need to be flush with the paper on the board... too far in they are not holding the board well too far and the plasterer will go ballistic if he kinks his favourite marshalltown skimmer!

I used these in a battery drill and came to the conclusion that it was the best tool I had found in years!!! I set the drill to higher speed rather than torque and the screws are all set just below the level of the plasterboard without breaking the paper.

You just stick the screw on the end (Use a magnetic bit holder), pull the trigger and when the bit cams out of the screw it's done. No messing!!

Also they come in a pack of 5 and I used about 1000 drywall screws with no sign of wear on one bit!! Only thing to watch is that the screw enters squarely as this will effect the level.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=FBBTYBOAUDQHRCJO2C3CIIQ?id=46278&ts=11082

FK

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back