Garage asbestos sheet roof: slope profile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1970s concrete sectional garage with corrugated asbestos roof. A metal frame on top of the garage sides is used to fix fascia boards and to create a slope for the roof from front to back.
I am currently replacing the rotten wood cladding to the front of the garage and the wooden fascias along the sides.

The roof slopes correctly from front to back for two-thirds of its length. Guttering is at the back of the garage. But for the last one-third, the asbestos panels seem to slope from back to front. Subsequently, most rainfall is sent to the gutter at the back, but some drips off at the front, where there is no gutter. Over a period of years (since the 70s, so it has done OK!), this has rotted the wood cladding above the and around the garage door. Also the door posts at the base.

Is this a common design for sloping sheet garage roofs? Or was the garage roof incorrectly fitted in the first place?
I thought the frame would handle the slope correctly. But to get the correct slope from front to back at present I would have to raise the front edge by several inches.

I am replacing rotten wood with uPVC cladding, so a few drips are OK. But if water is getting through, the wooden battens holding the uPVC will inevitable crumble.

Any ideas/comments?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back