Building floor in Garage conversion (ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Undertaking a detached garage conversion, to turn it into music studio! Any advice much appreciated.
The concrete slab is uneven. Should i self-level, dpm, 50mm kingspan then float chipboard on top?

Or is it easier to create a timber frame floor with joists packed out to make them level, inserting insulation between joists, chipboard on top?

Crucial decision so if anyone has cost/ benefit experience to share appreciated. In terms of warmth and sound proofing what would work best?

Its a 6.5m x 4.5m garage. Some of the dips are around 60-70mm in places. There is already a damp course under slab and the walls are double skin brick.

Many thanks
Stephen

Sponsored Links
Think I'd do what you have suggested, level, celotex then float a floor, I'm not a chipboard fan, I'd use plywood, personally.

I'd go for a thick celotex as you can take.

Are you having UFH or radiators in there?

Thanks for the response Mr Chibs.

Yes. I've been planning on electric radiators. UFH unnecessary for my needs.
Yes I'll probably for 70mm + insulation.

Have a good day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back