garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping I can get some advise on the following. I've looked thru old threads but can't find anything about this -

I want to convert single skin garage to an office. My main objective is to reduce the acoustics from the garage, so therefore would like to have acoustic graded insulation all the way around the garage walls/ceiling including piers. My question is would it be better to build a stand alone stud wall, ie not secured to existing wall, and also if this was done would I still need to have the following construction method of -

plasterboard
pvb
studs/insulation
breathable membrane
10 mm ply
(thanks noseall from previous thread)

Or would it be more sensible to secure studwork to existing walls and 'squeeze' past the piers.

Hope that makes sense, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Reduce noise from the garage/office - from what the keyboard taps? ;)

Dry lined on lath with perhaps 30 or 50mm rockwool is generally good enough for garage conversions

Crikey! are you psychic - there is actually going to be a keyboard (musical that is) in the office as well as various other neighbour annoying instruments. Thats why I need to consider the acoustics.

If that is the case, then you need something better than that proposed.

Have a look at www.fermacell.co.uk who make sound insulation boards, and look at some of their details for reducing sound transmission

Sponsored Links
Also try doubling up on the plasterboard, for really good sound insulation. Windows and doors need to be pretty good as well, or at least closed when you're doing your Elton John impressions.

Thanks for your replies, but it doesn't really answer my question. I know about the acoustic insulation I'm really hoping to get some advise about constructing the studwork away from the wall or onto the existing walls.

It depends on a few factors

If the wall is a party wall then you want an independant stud frame - fixed to the floor and ceiling, and due to this, it will have to be minimum 3 x 2 for ridgidity.

If they are just external walls then you can fix lath to it and then insulate and board, and no need for a thicker partition.

If you have piers, then you may want a flush wall so you build it out in timber to suit

I don't see a need for the 10mm ply in that list above

Whatever sound deadening method/material you choose to use will dictate what size stud framework you need to build - ie 50mm rockwool between timbers, or 15mm acoustic board across timbers

^woody^ said:
I don't see a need for the 10mm ply in that list above

woody. this was a reference to an earlier question asking how timber frame buildings are constructed.

as you know, they are usually sheathed in ply before the brick outer skin goes around.

Ply ? :eek: Must be good prices, or a posh job. lol

Sterling board for us cheapskates

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back