Garage Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Need to install some Fluorescent lighting in my garage.

As the garage is joined to the side of the house,

will I need to add an additional CU. Or can I spur off the

ring using a f.c.u. Or simply extend the lighting circuit.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Any of those options will do.

Is there a 4th option - to extend a socket circuit into the garage? Do you/will you ever need power there as well as lights?

Good point, so if I was to require a socket outlet as well as a light would

you recommend a c.u. to be installed in the garage.

would just adding a light without a c.u. and extending a circuit into the

garage comply with the regs. Does it make a difference as the garage

is joined onto the side of the property and not a seperate building?

Cheers for the previous reply.

As long as you carry out your inspection and testing, any problems with earth loop impedance will show up for each circuit and let you know if your protective devices are suitable for the addition

Sponsored Links
As the garage is joined to the house I think Part P does not come into effect, any doubts on Part P just read ask BAS.

Thanks for the replies!

Going on the advice ill come of the lighting circuit from the house

to a 3 amp f.c.u.

Read BAS? dont know where to look.

craig1 said:
Good point, so if I was to require a socket outlet as well as a light would you recommend a c.u. to be installed in the garage.
No need for that.

would just adding a light without a c.u. and extending a circuit into the garage comply with the regs.
Yes, provided the existing socket circuit has RCD protection.

Does it make a difference as the garage is joined onto the side of the property and not a seperate building?
Makes life simpler.

Going on the advice ill come of the lighting circuit from the house to a 3 amp f.c.u.
If you are getting lights in the garage by extending the house lighting circuit there is no need for an FCU.

Read BAS? dont know where to look.
Including this one, 7407 places ;) Mind you - those aren't all electrical - some are rants at the raving looney fascists on the General Chat forum...

meant to write read all of Ban All Sheds replies and thought on Part P, Interestings views

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back