Garage roof condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a huge amount of condensation forming on the underside of my garage roof. The roof is constructed from corrugated steel sheets and would like some advice on how to tackle the problem.

I am thinking of insulating the roof by putting up a false ceiling and insering rockwool in the void, would you recommend this as an answer to the problem?

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
Im no expert but i would have thought that if a lot of condensation is forming then firstly where is the excess moisture coming from ? ( do you have a tumble dryer in there or something) and secondly, i would have thought the drafts from the door would ventilate it sufficently to prevent general condensation in the first place.

I used to have a simular problem but that was caused by the tummble dryer in there .. we have since installed a cavity vent that takes all the moist air directly outside.

main concern in my eyes is why is it happening ? ( Moisture)

Could be what Mick says.

www.johnstones-paints.co.uk try this website they may suggest a paint they supply and tell you who stocks it. They do do one but it [From Screwfix] is for internal use in kitchens and bathrooms. But they may have one to suit your requirements.

greengrass.

I have this problem at the moment although I have asbestos sheeting rather than metal. It's in my workshop, I have a load of chemical, paints etc in there but all sealed so no leaking. The roof is on a 10degree slope and the higher end has had the nodules filled by something [looks like newspaper but not sure]. I have an inch gap under the door for ventilation and the nodules at the lower end have been left unfilled.

Any ideas on how i can sort this out as it's dripping down onto my bench

Sponsored Links
Do you heat the place?
many gas heaters / space heaters etc. put out a lot of water vapour, which can end up as condensation.

Hi.We have a large workshop (180mSq.) steel "A" frame and asbestos sheets all getting past there sell by date. To make it a bit more user friendly, two of us fitted a metal grid system (Suspended ceiling) at wall plate level, hung grid on wire from perlins and tiled it with reclaimed tiles. What a difference. warmer in wither cooler in summer. We banged a hole in each gable to ventilate roof void. It took two men five days but well worth it. Good Luck

where is the excess moisture coming from ?

Its coming from the air, which will always be laden with moisture - which will always condense on a suitable cold surface when the conditions are right.

Ventilation wont help - leave the garage door open and see what happens.

The only way is to remove the conditions which allow warmer air to touch a colder surface - ie insulate the surface, or introduce another ceiling with insulation and then ventilate the roof void to deal with any [lesser] amount of condensation which will occur

And there is no miracle paint product

I don't heat the place at all. It's a stand alone shed whihc is shared with my next door neighbour. I'm contemplatng adding a plasterboard ceiling as I have a load of plasterboard sitting in my loft from when I bought the place but will probably put some Tyvec up there first to help out as it will still drip off the sheets on to the boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back