Garage storage and heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now's the time to tart up my garage a bit :oops:

A jumble at the moment,but I was thinking,looking into shelving/storage etc seems to be quite expensive for purpose built.

Would it be wrong to,for instance,if I can get them,using recycled kitchen units/worktops?

Like most garages mines freezing in winter and an oven in the summer,would warpage be a problem?

Heating a garage,are those ones that use Calor gas any good for it,are they expensive?

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Wood swells and shrinks with seasonal changes in humidity, so you may have some slight problems, but that wouldn't stop me from putting up kitchen cabinets for storage in my garage.

If your garage is hot in summer and cold in winter, you might want to consider insulating it as well. You can't do much about the big cold concrete slab for a floor, but if you drive home from work and park your car in a well insulated garage, that big hot 400 pound engine will convect enough heat for long enough to keep the garage a lot warmer if it's well insulated.

You might want to contact the local companies that build and install kitchen cabinets. I'm sure that they throw away the old kitchen cabinets they take down when they install new cabinets in someone's house, and I'm sure that they wouldn't mind throwing some of those old ones in your direction.

Maybe insulate the part of the exterior walls that the cabinets will cover so that should you decide to insulate, you won't have to take the cabinets down to do that part of the wall.

If it's a brick grage with a corrugated or sheet roof, most of the heat will fall straight through that roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back