Garage timber fascias: replace with uPVC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1970s style garage. Sectional steel walls with pebble dash outer, corrugated asbestos roof sloping to the rear, with timber fascias and timber cladding at front.

The timber fascia is now rotten. Would it be feasible to replace it using uPVC fascia and cladding materials? I was thinking of using a conventional "L-shaped" uPVC fascia board to fit the garage sides, turned over so it would hang on the roof edge.

A related question. I have previously transported 4m plastic guttering back from the DIY store in a small hatchback car. Just fold the gutter in half! Would this trick work with thicker uPVC fascia boards, I wonder?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Lol at folding gutter in half! Must have been a warm day as too much bending causes a weakness. :D

Replacement fascia usually starts at 16mm, too hard to bend in half ;)

Worth paying a small delevery charge, be a shame to snap it all by accident.

ordinary flat board would do for the sides but use the thick stuff if you wish :)

Wickes have 9mm uPVC. I think this is intended for cladding existing timber fascia on houses.
But I think it would be OK to use this as replacement fascia for the garage.

Mike

helllooo mike

the cladding is to protect the wood not replace it
you have to replace rotton wood then cover as the cladding doesnt have enough structural strength

Sponsored Links
Does it need much structural strength for a garage?
9mm seems solid enough to keep wind and rain off the edges of the roof sheet...or am I underestimating?

Mike

mike004 said:
Does it need much structural strength for a garage?
9mm seems solid enough to keep wind and rain off the edges of the roof sheet...or am I underestimating?

Mike

Actually Yes Mike you are right, the 9 mil would be fine as it would just be 'butting up' to the roof sheet :) Its not as if it would be supporting a row of tiles or anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back