garden is a steep hill!

T

teddyb

Hi

Has anyone any helpful suggestions about how to make use of a large back garden which is a steep hill? It is about an acre, grassy with bulbs in amongst the grass. Trees and rhododendrons .. and red deer if we're not careful. We'd like to be able to use the garden but it is so steep that it's unmanageable at the moment. The views from the top are magnificent, but getting there leaves us out of breath!

Any reasonably cost conscious ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers
B

Sponsored Links
Can't find any that show the real problem at the moment ... probably won't be able to get any before the weekend ... would you be kind enough to look again then?

you could have a water fall. or terrace it, fit chair lift (great for skiing)

Sponsored Links
im usually around as are most of the other regulars so post away!

Sounds like it slopes up from the house? With about an acre you and a steep slope you could make a magnificent garden. If it were mine I'd terrace parts of it to break it up a bit and also make getting to the top of the garden a bit less arduous, I'd also incorporate a pond at the bottom with a water cascade. I'd plan the terraces such that when planted you can't see all the other areas of the garden, making a meandering path up to the top, with areas of interest on the way. That said without seeing the site it's impossible to say really, it could be 10 foot wide and 1/2 a mile long !! Also depends on how much you want to spend, landscaping an acre in the way I mentioned would not be cheap, and would really require access for diggers, or failing that one hell of a lot of digging. Just a thought.

Eddie M said:
.........I'd terrace parts of it to break it up a bit and also make getting to the top of the garden a bit less arduous, I'd also incorporate a pond at the bottom with a water cascade.........

breezer said:

sounds like what i said but no chair lift

breezer said:
Eddie M said:
.........I'd terrace parts of it to break it up a bit and also make getting to the top of the garden a bit less arduous, I'd also incorporate a pond at the bottom with a water cascade.........

breezer said:

sounds like what i said but no chair lift

Sorry, I thought you were an hour behind :D

I'm really interested in some of the ideas you're putting forward!!

I've put some pics in for you... it's difficult to show the steepness(?) as most the camera sees is grass right in front of it. A couple are more successful though. The one with the roof top was taken with me standing 1/3 of the way up the garden. It's much wider at the top and there are steps up from the house level.

Oops, I think 1 pic is sideways on!

teddyb said:
I'm really interested in some of the ideas you're putting forward!!

I've put some pics in for you... it's difficult to show the steepness(?) as most the camera sees is grass right in front of it. A couple are more successful though. The one with the roof top was taken with me standing 1/3 of the way up the garden. It's much wider at the top and there are steps up from the house level.

Oops, I think 1 pic is sideways on!

either that or youve got a very very steep garden! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back