Garden retainer wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ground level for the side of my house is about 1m below the pavement level. There was no original retainer wall, the soil level started at 3ft and feathered down to virtually nothing over 10ft.

I want to reclaim some garden back and want to build a wall about a 3ft high, 4ft from the boundary so will have to retian a fair amout of soil.

Question is, material, thickness, any special requirements such as intermediate drainage pipes (ive ssen on some walls) waterproofing the back ?? any help or suggestions appreciated.

P.S. was looking to use brick and have already dug a trench for footings (18" enough ?)

Picture to follow when I get a chance

Sponsored Links
OK, just found a post on here stating the height should be 3 to 4 times the thickness, so a 9" double brick should be ok for 3' height.

Still need advice on footings depth and drainage/waterproofing

thanks

retain%20wall.jpg

As you can see, there will be a fair amount of back-fill to bring it level. would it it suitable to plant small trees (ie root problems) or just stik to flowers :)

i would stick to flowers / bushes, some trees will spread roots all over the place, may even break wall over time

could always put fence / trellis on wall

Sponsored Links
What you're doing is okay, you really do need a wall there otherwise the top fencing on the upper level could slip down in heavy rain.

18" footing is okay and I would use engineer bricks which is slightly dearer but ideal for damp condition. For drain holes you can use a small plastic pipe such as overflow or copper pipe while you're building the wall or drill it out afterward. Depending what you're doing on the lower level regarding taking the drain water away from the wall area as well.

There is also a lot of information here

Top job :)

Exactly what i was after. I already had this site book-marked for something else.

wall02.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back