1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Retaining Wall - Falling

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by utterlydiy, 5 Feb 2020.

1. utterlydiy

utterlydiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    From my picture below, it shows a wall flush with the neighbours house wall.

The wall runs the full length of the rear garden from 3ft high to the house at 5ft high and a similar wall in the front garden. Both are retaining walls holding the neighbours garden as the properties are stepped on a hill.

The walls are cracked and are giving way from the pressure of their garden/soil etc.

The deeds say that the walls are my responsibility. How can that be when the wall is on their side. The insurance will only cover subsidence to our building.

If the wall is my responsibility for maintenance, but would the subsidence ground work be the neighbours.

Adjoining wall A.jpg

2. sircerebus666

sircerebus666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What subsidence ground work?

It's a standard term in most deeds that you are responsible for the wall/fence to the right of your property , it will probably say the same thing in your neighbours deeds.

Is there any drainage at the base of the retaining walls?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    no it isn't.

• Like Like x 1
  5. utterlydiy

utterlydiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can only see the odd gap with no mortar in a 11mtr length of approx 6 gaps, but most are dry with spider webs etc no signs of water draining etc.

The properties are approx 35yrs old.

Ground work meaning, would work be needed to the ground behind the wall to help prevent pushing the wall out again in future.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2020
  6. Sponsored Links