Garden Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From my picture below, it shows a wall flush with the neighbours house wall.

The wall runs the full length of the rear garden from 3ft high to the house at 5ft high and a similar wall in the front garden. Both are retaining walls holding the neighbours garden as the properties are stepped on a hill.

The walls are cracked and are giving way from the pressure of their garden/soil etc.

The deeds say that the walls are my responsibility. How can that be when the wall is on their side. The insurance will only cover subsidence to our building.

If the wall is my responsibility for maintenance, but would the subsidence ground work be the neighbours.

Adjoining wall A.jpg

Sponsored Links
What subsidence ground work?

It's a standard term in most deeds that you are responsible for the wall/fence to the right of your property , it will probably say the same thing in your neighbours deeds.

Is there any drainage at the base of the retaining walls?

Can only see the odd gap with no mortar in a 11mtr length of approx 6 gaps, but most are dry with spider webs etc no signs of water draining etc.

The properties are approx 35yrs old.

Ground work meaning, would work be needed to the ground behind the wall to help prevent pushing the wall out again in future.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My deeds say I am responsible for the up-keep of the wall so I have decided to replace one of three walls which are separated by vertical expansion board joints.

The image above shows one of two walls being double brick and third single brick

The third wall being 5.5m lg x 0.9m h finished with vertical soldiers along the top.

I want to replace it as a double brick wall.

The visual face would consist of the same brick, but should I use 215 x 100 x 65 brick or 400 x 215 x 100 block for the inner row as it will be hidden by soil of next doors garden. I will fit a membrane to protect the wall from water ingress and back fill with chippings etc for drainage.

So which is best for the inner wall Brick or Block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back