garden tap/hose has poor flow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a garden tap that has poor flow; it's not drastically poor but not as heavy as it should be. I removed the hose from the tap because i thought it may be the tap itself that may be restricted but the flow from the hose is identically poor. The other end of the hose goes inside the house via the brickwork and uses the 'cut into the pipe' type connections on the cold water feed just off the rising main.
Any ideas why the flow is poor?
I need to increase the flow to effectively use a pressure washer.
thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I would say the 'cut into the pipe' type connections which is known as self cutting tap are more suitable for washing machine.I would personally prefer using 15mm t-piece off the main with 15mm pipe via the brickwork to the outside tap which will guarantee a good flow rate.Also your hose via the brickwork is probably reducing the flow being slightly compress.

I agree with the above a proper T would be better. You could turn off the water and dismantle the clamp over the pipe and make sure nothing was blocking the quite small hole that is made in the pipe when these things are fitted (maybe limescale). While apart try blowing air back through the bendy pipe to clear any obstruction.
I've only used one of these clamp things once but was quite impressed with the water pressure through it.

some "screw on taps" do have a problem, inseatd of puncturing the pipe they cut a hole, unfortunately they more often than not do not cut all the way through 100% of the cut, so they end up with a "flap" over time the water pressure can (or partialy) close the "flap" reducing the pressure. th only way round is as a previous post suggested, turn water off, drainnowmn anc use 15mm t piece etc

Sponsored Links
I note this topic has been duplicated.I would add that I have the very same set up Self cutting valve/ Outside tap / Pressure washer but NO problems.
My drain cleaning extension literally pulls itself along the drain.
Did I say NO problems, well the pressure jets are good for making holes in concrete when you don't want any
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back