Gas cooker point seal done right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a gas engineer here today seal off an old cooker point as we don't use gas - the bayonet connection has been there unused for 4 years but I wanted to make sure it was properly sealed off.

He used a threaded metal plug, smeared Gasseal around the threads, unscrewed the bayonet and screwed the plug on tight.

Is this sufficient? I was thinking it may have needed to be blow torched shut... ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
He used a threaded metal plug, smeared Gasseal around the threads, unscrewed the bayonet and screwed the plug on tight.

yes

BOB is totally right

But why, if you were concerned did not not give the man a chance to quell your fears

why second guess him on a DIY website, what has he done to deserve this disrespectful treatment?

Firstly, thanks for your responses.

I asked if what he did was sufficient and he said yes, tapping at the tin of Gasseal, saying 'thats the main thing'.

I was merely looking for reassurance after reading elsewhere it's usually better to solder an end cap on and for it to be checked with a manometer after sealing.

I realise this is a public DIY forum, but I must say there's no need to accuse me of disrespecting someone, especially when the so-called "dissing" is kept anonymous.

My apologies if my query is misplaced, I'll not make the same mistake twice and shall look elsewhere for advice.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
mmm

he did not check it with a manometer after he did the cap are you sure??

I did not read that, he should have done as he has interupted the gas supply ergo a tightness test of system should have been carried out

If my last post seemed a bit harsh myapologies I assumed that you had not asked the gas man before posting, we are all nice chaps here (well except for bob who would kill anyone for suggesting he was nice)

i think leak detector around the plug should do the trick, we were told at collage that if only one joint was broken there was no need for the use of a manometer i.e boiler servicing where only the union was broken.

IMO you should ensure with a tightness test the stop end you have used to permanently disconnect an appliance.

Hi, actually, reading back I was a bit arsey in my reply for which I apologise, I sincerely appreciate any advice and feedback people provide.

plumbing321, when you say leak detector around the plug, you mean the spray on stuff that foams up around a leak? Would that not react with the gasseal compound?

LDF (leak detection fluid) wont react to gas seal.

does no one else agree with me that a tightness test should have been carried out??

corgiman i agree in my opinion a tightness test should have been carried out before work commenced and after the plug was fitted. :D

Total non post but of course after any gas work has been done ( and before too! ) a full tightness test should be done!

I agree that in the normal course of events a customer should not need to question the work done by a CORGI registered engineer. Unfortunately there are so many cowboys using first names, mobile numbers and no CORGI photocard then its not surprising that some customers are suspicious.

Any customer after checking and noting the CORGI number can telephone CORGI for further advice or reassurance.

Tony.

A tightness test MUST have been carried out, he has contraveined Gas Intallation and Use Regs by not doing so.

plumbing321 said:
i think leak detector around the plug should do the trick, we were told at collage that if only one joint was broken there was no need for the use of a manometer i.e boiler servicing where only the union was broken.

:eek:

Are you sure that is what they have told you or have you misunderstood.

Not doing tightness test??.....sackable offence on my job. Otherwise you are speaking to the king of screwing in 1/2 inch iron plugs covered in Jet Blue compound into cooker points. We do it every time a property becomes void..and we do a tightness test and spray the joint every time.

What you have to bear in mind is that the next resident may require a gas cooker. In this job I have removed 100s of redundant gas taps and poker point bayonets dating back to when Adam was a lad. The previous incumbents on this housing contract didn't bother, but times change in case anyone hasn't noticed. :LOL:

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back