gas engineer in 8 weeks!

• Thread starter traineegasman
  • Start date
T

traineegasman

To all the guys/gals out there thinking of how hard it is to become a gas engineer, Do not despair! there are courses out there to actually train you to become a fully gas trained engineer within 8 months. Now before i get kicked off the site by the regulars, it`s not a course that you can just walk on to, you do have to be unemployed! Such is the shortage for engineers, the government is now providing this course free of charge to any person who is out of work & qualifies for the new deal. This is a relatively new thing that is happening right now! The course is intense & you will need an aptitude for practical tasks, you DO NOT need to be mathematically minded. How do i know? Because i have just qualified, & am now working for a heating firm. I must say however, that i did work as a plumber`s mate for a time & also went to college, but i have just qualified with guys ( & girls) who have had little or no experience within the plumbing industry whatsoever! Some of them went to British Gas! Only as service engineers but at 25 grand a year as a trainee i think it`s probably worth a shot! If you are unemployed, go to your local jobcentre & ask about the New Deal, vacancies in plumbing/ heating, & the Energy & Utilities scheme. By the way, the place where i have just finished training is offering a fast track course for people who are installing heating systems (illegally) who want to become fully qualified engineers in 8 weeks, so they can then be legal. Mind you, it does cost 2 grand! Before anyone rips into me may i just say that i have no vested interest in these schemes, but having worked for gas engineers, it was nice to be able to have this kind of information made available to me, & so now, i`m passing it on to you. I have done this at the ripe old age of 42 so there is hope for all you old f**kers! One guy one the course was 57! Good luck!

Sponsored Links
These courses are a modification of the old gwinto schemes for long term unemployed and ex-offenders and good luck to anyone who can get a course and get work experience to get their corgi ticket. Then when you have that you can actually begin to start learning to be a heating engineer :D . With reference to the 25k BG engineer that is for a full technical engineer covering shifts, call out and breakdowns.....a service engineer is about 4k a year short of that.

Absolutely correct Oilski, quick reply by the way, these courses are not just for the long term unemployed & ex-offenders however, I actually had to register to be unemployed for 18 months before this time i had never been out of work, & while i was waiting for the course i attended college. You are correct in saying that this is just a stepping stone into the industry but my message was for the people who have been posting on this site who wanted a change of direction in their careers & thought that they were maybe too old! The salary figures for a trainee that i may have quoted may indeed be exaggerated, but they are from people who have only been used to a girocheque every couple of weeks. Let them enjoy! :)

I think these types of schemes must be very detrimental to the moral of time served plumbers and gas fitters, especially those who had to complete exam based C&G qualifications to start their carreer's in the 70's & 80's.

It's a great hypocracy that schemes to train competent politicians are never sponsored, and we sure are short of those.

I believe there are very few skill shortages in reality, only a shortage of skilled workers willing to work for fat cats looking to pay buttons.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately `time served ' is a term going out of fashion. It was just a way of making young people slave away for years listening to some old bloke going on about `when I was a lad' & paying him crap wages. Times change, if you`re capable, doesn`t matter how old/ young you are, you should be paid accordingly.

I`ll be sending me son up the chimney next! :eek:

please note 10a

i think these scemes serve a PURPOSE like the driving test and nvq qualifications you have the minimum to be nearly safe you only become proficiant with practice learning by your mistakes and by advice from well seasond and time served people :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

traineegasman said:
traineegasman said:
fortunately `time served ' is a term going out of fashion. It was just a way of making young people slave away for years listening to some old bloke going on about `when I was a lad' & paying him rubbish wages. Times change, if you`re capable, doesn`t matter how old/ young you are, you should be paid accordingly.

doh.gif
doh.gif

never read so much cak in my life

get out there and try it son the "THE OLD TIME SERVED GITS " will eat yuo alive :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

bless im ;)

NO WAY! if you are dealing with people`s lives then it is not like passing your driving test & then forgetting about it. An apprentice gas engineer will be totally more aware of the safety factors involved than an engineer who has `done it for 30 years luv, never had an accident!`Blaze in a word, they have been there, done it, seen it Ask one, I`m sure you`ll be impressed.

Kevplumb, ........Doin` it mate... piece of ****!!...xxxx :LOL:

Errmmm.. Go to a what?

Would that be a special kinda Buck Rogers kinda thing? Maybeez? :LOL:

Well, yor absolutely rite, ther Kevplums, I have no idea, being a frikkin` moron, what the frikk you are talkin` about here ?

Oh Christ! Kevplumbs. BigPlumbs! We have a HULLABALLOO! ON DECK FOOER!! HAAYYELP!! HAYYELP!!

Dear Kevplums, I am a lowly trainee gas engineer, I know I am not fit to lick your shoes, but please tell me, oh! Fountain Of Wisdom, Central Heating & Plumbing........What is a sine 18??.... I have only worked in domestic premises..Thank you.... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

10a

It's an old revered combi boiler. Built like a battleship and almost as complicated. Don't worry, get hold of the manual and it won't present too much of a problem once you've sussed how it works.

There will be plenty of people thinking it's clever to take the p*ss because you haven't seen something yet. But you will also meet, through one channel or another, plenty of people prepared to lend a hand.

8 weeks isn't bad. When I did it it was 5 days "training" then another five or so for ccn1 and 6 appliances.

Put http://www.gas-news.co.uk on your favourites list. Probe your way around the site - there's masses of good stuff there. You're obviously bright. Make like a sponge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back