gas hob cooking appliance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my electric freestanding cooker with an single electric oven and a separate gas hob. The IEE wiring regs say that a standard cooker circuit may supply two cooking appliances where these are installed in one room. From other comments on these pages, it's clear that for a separate electric hob and electric oven, both appliances can be wired into the same cooker circuit. But is a gas hob a cooking appliance? It would be convenient to be able to connect it to the oven terminal, so that the cooker control unit isolates both items (and would the hob have to be connected with 6mm cable like the rest of the circuit: possibly overkill for a sparking mechanism). Is this acceptable, or is it necessary to wire the gas hob to a separate fused connection unit on the ring circuit? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
IEE normally concerned with overloading supply cable. In your case the electric cooker takes most of the demand. I would put a switched fused connection unit next to cooker switch so you could use common supply cable.

Thanks for that, it makes sense. I now have the installation guide for the hob, which says that in the case of a permanent connection, it is necessary to install a double throw switch between the hob and supply - the cooker control switch will achieve this. So I'll do as you suggest and run 2.5 mm cable sidweways from the cooker switch to an FCU, from the FCU down to a flex outlet, from there to the hob. Thanks for the good advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back