Gas Hob Plumbing Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a query regarding plumbing in the gas supply to a built in hob.

The hob has a gas inlet socket on the rear which needs to connect to the gas supply (a corgi man is going to do this - obviously)

My question is how does this sit? The worktop lies between the hob and the unit below, but the unit is a drawer unit and does not have a recessed back and sits flush to the wall. The drawers cannot interfere with the pipes so I thought I will channel out the wall for the pipes, but how do I get it to the hob is my question, is it OK to cut a channel in the worktop for the pipe to sit in?

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Corgi man will most likely fit an isolating valve and run from there in 8mm copper but he will need some room for the pipes. Draw is not likely to fit tight up to the underside of the worktop, the front carcase rail will mean a gap of 18mm.

Does the draw go all the way back to the wall, they usually don't. (are they Ikea :cry: ) Also check the hob instructions, if there is a likelyhood of combustable materials like tablecloths being placed in the draw you may have to fit a board under the cut out.

Jason

Hi There

Yes it is an Ikea cabinet. Please tell me there is a solution to this situation as planning for it is driving me mad!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Safest solution is to do away with drawer and just fit the drawer front as a blank. Don't know about anyone else but that's what I'd be doing unless manufs instructions say otherwise. If customer was demanding draw then I would call manufacturer for advice. Stuff like this can vary from one manufacturer to the next. Hobs often have ventilation holes on underside and may need free air around them. Protection plate may be acceptable but I wouldnt go down that road without finding something that says so. Hopefully your installer has the same or even more knowledgable approach.
Usually theres an oven below so this is rarely an issue.

There's a small gap behind an Ikea unit, which will take an 8mm pipe ok, so one option is to put the bigger-pipe supply and isol valve lower, behind the plinth. Up at the top, the right adaptors to get to 8mm, and a couple of 8mm elbows, might be well worth having handy. Hobs vary in outlet size. If it's a monster hob, 3ft of 8mm might be too restrictive - get corgiwallah to check it.

Never looked, but I can't imagine a hob could impose constraints on what its underside would be against. Just make the top drawer one for cutlery!

There is no gap at all between the unit and the wall.

What I thought I would do is channel out the wall for the gas pipe behind the unit, the hob is 28mm deep and the worktop 38mm so the inlet connection will be "in" the worktop, so I will cut a channel in the underside of the worktop for the pipe. In essence this will allow the pipe to come up the wall behind the unit and through the worktop to the hob. 15mm in the wall with a 8mm connection to the hob

Does this sound like a reasonable solution

Not too keen on cutting out the worktop as it is quite weak once you have cut out for the hob. Seal any exposed chipboard.

Don't forget to allow more than the 15 / 8mm for the size of the fittings and spanner room.

Jason

There is no gap at all between the unit and the wall.

All the ones if seen had half an inch or just over.

Do the drawers go to the back, or is there a small gap - to the wall? If not you could go down inside the cupd to the right perhaps.

Hi Chris

No gap at all between the cupboard and wall and the drawers go the full length and width!

With regards what I was saying about manufacturers instructions I just looked up some to prove the point. The following are from hotpoint BG05
and a creda W810 They are what I call 'exactly the same but different' > same hob and instructions but with different makers badge :confused:

• The hob is designed to fit into worktop and base unit(s) with a cutout as shown in Fig.1. Any obstruction such as supports or side panels must be removed to allow 30mm minimum depth below the worktop cutout. Any overhead surface ofcombustible material must not be closer than 600mm. When installing next to a tall cupboard, partition or wall, for a minimum distance of 400mm above the hotplate a side clearance of at least 40mm should be allowed from the edge of the cutout. This is a type X appliance regarding installation requirements, it is recommended that a shelf is fitted to the cabinet under the hob, but no closer than 10mm to prevent access to the underside of the hob which will become hot when in use.
Got them here http://imagebank.indesitcompany.co.uk/pdf/service/HBW810.pdf
Havent got a clue what make of hob you are putting in but I'll make my poiint a little clearer this time
CHECK THE INSTRUCTIONS first then figure out where the pipe will go after you have worked out if you can have a drawer or not!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back