GAS LEAK HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are with british Gas for the supply of our gas to our house. In about September last year, we got a letter from Seimans British Gas asking us to have our Gas Metre replaced (part of a rolling programme of equipment upgrade I guess). In any case, the gas meter was replaced, and everything seemed fine. Until of course, this morning, when we got up there was a strong smell of gass downstairs where the gas meter is situated.

I immediately called the British Gas emergency number, and the chap that came out has made everything safe by turning the gas off, and said that the problem is due to a gas leak under the floor downstairs in the house. He says this is just unfortunate, but I am concerned that owing to the fact that I (or anyone else) has not been messing around with underground pipes in the house, that this problem should have occurred now following the replacement of the gas meter.

I was not at home when this meter was replaced, but I am guessing that the fitter would've had to have cut into the pipe on the old meter in order to remove it, and in doing so has somehow upset a joint in the pipework underground.

Has anyone got any knowledge of this kind of problem, or can anyone give me any advise etc. At the moment, I am possibably looking at a great expense to get this sorted out, not to mention the hassle that goes with it, and with us being without any heating/gas whilst this is sorted out.

My thinking is that transco (or whoever ows the pipework etc), or Seimans (those that installed the new meter) need to accept liability for what has gone wrong. Does anyone have any ideas please??

:(((

Sponsored Links
It's quite unlikely that meter replacement would have disturbed any pipework UNLESS the service pipe was replaced at the same time. The meter SHOULD be connected to the pipework via a wall-plate (with gas-company seals) that holds everything firmly on the wall. Also, the meter-changer would have tested for leaks as the last step of the work and if there had been any problem then it would have been obvious. IF there's no wall-plate or it's not secure, you MIGHT have some claim against the meter-changer - but it's a while ago and from you description the leak is definitely on your side of the meter, so it's unfortunately your problem. The important issue is WHY the leak has occurred.

Generally a gas meter change does not require any modification to the existing carcass; just a swap of the meter control valve and swap of meters; if you have steel gas pipe under a concrete screeded floor; then it is true that the pipes can just start leaking for no apparent cause; normally due to a temperature fluctuation or just walking on the floor altering the pressure on the screed itself.

Unfortunately there is very little you can do unless you can "Prove" that the engineer disturbed a joint; and let's be real and honest about this - It was in September...

[Edit] - There's some fast typers here today :p [/edit]

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for all the replies

1). I'm not sure if the service pipe was replaced at the time as I was not present, but I do know that the work took about 45 minut4s to do;

2). The pipework is cast iron I think as the house was built around 1970's. I do find it hard to believe that it is more than just a coincidence that this leak has occured following the replacement of the gas meter. The floor is screeded, and on top of that there are vinal tiles, and on top of that we has a sound innsulation board, and on top of that there is laminate flooring, all of which was installed many years ago.

Regards
IMEPX

As he said, "about last September".

IMPEX, whilst I appreciate your disapointment that you are going to have to pay perhaps £100-£600 to have the faulty pipework repaired or replaced, thats part of the responsibility for owning your own home.

As an aside, I am always somewhat unhappy when I encounter this attitude that whatever has happened is always someone elses fault even when there is no evidence to suggest that.

Tony

IMPEX said:
I am guessing that the fitter would've had to have cut into the pipe on the old meter in order to remove it, and in doing so has somehow upset a joint in the pipework underground.

Not a very good guess I'm afraid as a properly made joint would be very hard to dislodge especially cast iron ones.

It could be that the joint was not made properly in the first place and has been leaking for a long time.

You would struggle to prove the gas company was negligent and would be better off renewing the cast iron piping with copper by a Corgi :D

If it's steel pipe (definitely NOT cast iron!) embedded in concrete, it would be virtually impossible for even the most ham-fisted meter-changer to affect it.

It's also possible that the original installation was wrong and the pipe has corroded.

BUT if the pipe goes straight into the floor and down to a threaded elbow, it's possible that the very first joint has loosened. It MIGHT be possible to remove the meter, and remake the connection into the original elbow. This is NOT a DIY job - it's only 50/50 that it would work and careful testing is required.

Hi
Wolverhampton it’s a bit too far for me to come and help
These pipes are normally steel threaded ranging between ¾ & 1¼ and then different sizes throughout the house
If the leak is in the cupboard near to the meter you will need to get to the base of the pipe turn the gas back on paint on with a brush some liquid soap around the joints if you se bubbling then turn off gas strip out pipe clean joint/s repast with Boss white paste and retest if all ok turn off gas and request a turn on and test ;)

READ THE OP!!
The leak is UNDER the screeded floor, with multiple further layers on top!

I would get a Corgy out to cap the meter and test the installation pipework, and give you a price to re-route it above ground.

Must admit to having Transco turn off a supply that was leaking at the new meter.

IMPEX said:
Hi
We are with british Gas for the supply of our gas to our house.

Switch to a cheaper supplier; nothing to do with your gas leak, though.

If the meter change was more than about a week ago, there's virtually no chance of proving that the leak had been caused by the meter change. I think you'd save yourself a lot of grief by just paying for a new gas installation. I'd think it more likely that the underground pipes have corroded.

The pipes are screwed steel. The pipe thread is tapered and the thread in the female fitting is parallel, so the pipe wedges itself into the fitting as it is tightened. However, the joint relies on the use of pipe-jointing compound (sticky gloopy stuff) to get a gas-tight seal. The older stuff dried out with age and became brittle; moving a pipe in a fitting slightly might cause a joint to start leaking by cracking the dried jointing compound.

The meter should be supported by the wall plate, but there are many meters of that vintage installed without the wall-plate being screwed to the wall, so that the meter is supported on the gas pipework (either the service pipe or the gas installation). British Gas stated that this was in accordance with the then current standards.

The gas isolating valves are often stiff; they are plug cocks that rely on a coating of grease to keep them gas-tight and lubricated. The gas cocks are not tested or serviced by Transco (or whatever they're now called), so some can only be operated by the application of brute force by a hairy plumber. If the gas meter is inadequately supported, the torque can cause gas pipes to shift, starting leaks.

Since the pipework is underground, it is probable that the leak could not be located. If the technician has done a soundness (pressure) test on your installation and found that it leaks, then it needs to be replaced. However, he would also be obliged to isolate it if there was a smell of gas, even if there was a negligible/ no-discernible pressure loss. The relevance of this is that the leak is in the vicinity of the meter, the gas installation and the service pipe are both connected to the meter and and he is not able to test the soundness of the service pipe.

If the smell of gas persists, even slightly, despite your gas installation being isolated, then get Transco back and demand written confirmation that their service pipe is sound.

When you get a CORGI gas installer in, get him to test your installation before he starts any work to confirm that it is leaking and that in his opinion it needs to be replaced.

Its TUFF you got TOFO`D , but there is nothing you can do about claiming .

If you don`t want the floor digging up , then there may be a choice that the meter could be fitted to an external wall .

Up here (nr Leeds) its apx £450 meter installation + you will haveto pay for a house connection and that all depends on where the pipework runs Could be upto £500 .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back