Gas meters and underground pipework (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before i start, i do not intend to undertake any gas work myself and just require a view as to what is possible and suggestions as to the best solution.

I have just had my meter moved from under the stairs to a semi recessed meter box on the side of the house. I did all the excavation work myself and the relocation was done yesterday.

We are having a new boiler (only gas appliance in the house) it is a 4 bed with 2 ensuites and a family bathroom and the plumber said that he may need to use 28mm copper from the meter upto the boiler distance of around 6m in a straight run. this is all fair enough but the pipe that Cadent installed yesterday is either 20 or 25mm MDPE - My question is this; is there any value in installing the 28mm copper or is this worthless given the smaller pipe size up to the meter?

second question. rather than having copper pipe exposed on the side of the house could the pipe after the meter be buried under the ground in a suitably deep trench and reappear in the boiler room? and can this be in MDPE? or would something like Tracpipe be better?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
The Cadent-installed service runs at a much higher pressure than the gas in your house, and so a smaller pipe can be used. The regulator on the meter then reduces it to the correct pressure.

You could probably have a buried gas pipe but you'll have to ask your installer as they're the one who has seen the job and will know of any potential obstacles

thats great, many thanks.

Subject to site conditions, in principal can MDPE be used after a meter? Tracpipe is expensive gear and MDPE is not!

Sponsored Links
Yellow PE can be used after the meter but only underground

Last edited:
This site does not support DIY gas work.
Yellow PE can be used after the meter but only underground
So very near the boiler, and while still underground, we connect a copper pipe to the MDPE, so that the copper pipe emerges from the ground, and all is good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back