Gas pipe - Electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electric cable passes across (behind) a gas pipe making it closer than 25mm...it is an unavoidable situation - is it a problem? If it is, would putting it in mini-trunking help?

Sponsored Links
Its not in accordance with the regulations.

However unless you live in a location thats prone to lightening strikes its unlikely to cause any problem.

An "electric cable" does not give any indication of what its used for or even what type of cable it is.

Tony

Agile said:
Its not in accordance with the regulations.

However unless you live in a location thats prone to lightening strikes its unlikely to cause any problem.

An "electric cable" does not give any indication of what its used for or even what type of cable it is.

Tony

It's a mains cable going to power socket...does the trunking idea not help reconcile with regs?

I love this rule as all boilers have electriccables touch gas valves and pipes etc

if you insulate it well, as you say trunking, that would be fine as I can see no alternative in most cases

Sponsored Links
Tony's understanding of the regs is different to mine :LOL:

Gas installation pipework and fittings should be spaced as follows.

At least 150mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls or fuse boxes.

At least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables, or other metalic surfaces.

Where spacing requirements are impractical the pipe should be wrapped with PVC or an insulating material fitted between the pipes.

corgiman said:
I love this rule as all boilers have electriccables touch gas valves and pipes etc

if you insulate it well, as you say trunking, that would be fine as I can see no alternative in most cases

Yes good point...plus the the gas pipe is earth clamped too...wouldn't the earth wire become a conductor in an electric storm/strike situation?

Many thanks.

there is one of the gloworm bbu's that supply the cable ties and tell you to clip it to the gas pipe in the mi's (wish i could remember which one )
:eek:

I dont disagree with DIYs posting.

The regulations say a spacing of 25 mm.

If that cannot be met then they suggest insulation. That does not make it meet the regulations but obviously reduces the chance of any problem.

The regulations also say that the gas pipe should be bonded ( with 10 mm cable ).

Bonding the gas pipe is really quite important but is only done in about half the properties that I visit in London.

Tony

It's 150 away from things like sockets and switches, too.
I always wondered if it was to do with putting a nail or similar through both at once. I didn't remember about insulation, which would hardly stop a nail.

Have you been on the beer?

"I dont disagree" is a double negative and equates with "I agree".

Regards

Tony

PS Isn't it about time you came back to London. Free B&B ready!

Agile said:
Have you been on the beer?

"I dont disagree" is a double negative and equates with "I agree".

Regards

Tony

PS Isn't it about time you came back to London. Free B&B ready!

Not allowed beer :cry:

And the blood pressure is already 165/122, think what a trip to the smoke would do to that :rolleyes:

You going to Coventry for installer live or what.

Three typos! The two missing apostrophes and DIY instead of DIA.

Sorry I had two glasses of Vermouth, half bottle very nice Rioja and two glasses of ginger wine. Should have been DIA.

For the BP of 165/122 I would prescribe 75 mG of aspirin ( dimethyl acetyl salicylic acid ) as an anticoagulant.

Together with an antihypertensive and diuretic consisting of 4mg of perindopril erbumine and 1.25mg of indapamide hemihydrate.

All three to be taken daily ideally 20 min before breakfast. To be teamed with an escalating gentle and stressless exercise regime like walking the dog.

Tony

I expect to be at Installer live in Cov. Can walk there in 10 min from home, come round for dinner afterwards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back