Gas pipe runs, and electrical supplies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run a gas supply, under floor boards, to supply a boiler further down in the property. I seem, to have seen somewhere, that electical supply cables have to be a certain distance away from the gas line. Asked the spark today, and he cant remember !, as the house is being re-wired. The problem being, is that due to the distance, and me wanting to do the minimal amount of floor board lifting and pipe bending, if the gas supply is only a few inches away from the new electrical cable, would it suffice, to lag the gas pipe. The only thing that i can think of, is that a live cable broke and touched the gas pipe. Not sure if i am right in my train of thought, but any advice would be most welcome. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
25mm from cable and fittings and 150mm from meter.
Hope this is your own house and you know about pipe sizing, tightness testing etc etc.

truth be known, did pipe sizing in college, and cant remember anything about it, hense running in 22 and pulling bends (was never asked in my gas exams for it at all). As for soundness testing totally under raps, spent too much on a regin !!. If the burner pressure is to low, guess im going to kick myself then cry and refit in 28. But the only gas supply is going to the boiler, as the hob and oven is electric. Just a quick question if i may, if i didnt have access to a floor standing pipe bend machine, then i would have to use elbows, and this would restrric flow, just a point, and would like to hear your views, as im sure they are better than mine. Cheers blahbaa ..... and i see screw fix is down again !

Elbows add on .5m and .3m for tees to equivalent pipe length, just run everything in 28mm, if that aint big enough your stuffed anyway.

Sponsored Links
cheers pedan, what is the restriction, on a pulled 22 mm bend. "T" pieces really dont have anything to do with me, as see original post, its going straight to the boiler. But thanks for the reply any ways. Cheers

not trying to be pedantic but its .5m for tees as well as bends!

fronnie said:
not trying to be pedantic but its .5m for tees as well as bends!

No it isn't! Zero if it's going straight through the tee, 0.5 if turning.
And it isn't 0.5m for bends it's 0.3m!
Of course you can use Long Radius elbows! 0.45m??

Plummit as you haven't had the wit to tell us what the boiler is or how long the pipe is we aren't tempted to answer :rolleyes:
I DO wonder what you mean by " As for soundness testing totally under raps, spent too much on a regin !!. " ? A tenner for U guage?

but whats the point of puttin a tee on if its not going to flow thru the tee, so it is .5 for tees, 0.3 for bends made on a machine and 0.5 for elbows

i know i made a mistake on my previous post so hopefully i corrected my self :confused:
, just human me lol,

As I said if it's a bit on the limit put in 28mm, thats the biggest we are allowed to fit on domestic, using the rule book use's previous experience as a starter anyway, I rarely work it out, just common sense, the same as for heating pipework, but then I dont skimp on jobs, went to a job where some cowboy had fitted a 24Kw combi which was fed with a 15mm pipe which came off the meter at the other side of the house, god knows how many elbows were in between, must have had an equivalent length at least 18metres, it still worked and the hot water was useable, bath would have been borderline, but they used the electric shower so no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back