gas smell when combi noiler on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had some gas and plumbing work done recently by a registered plumber, at the same time I had the boiler boxed in (to hide from view). Now when the boiler is turned on my wife and I are sure that we smell gas both in the boiler cupboard and in the bathroom which is directly over the boiler. The smell only comes when the bolier is on. I mentioned it to the plumber and he insists there is no leak and that it shouldn't matter if the bolier is on or off. Could it be due to poor ventilation now that the boiler is boxed in? The bathroom vent is directly above the boiler vent on the outside wall, but this didn't seem to cause any smell before. The plumber was also the one who fitted the boiler new in the first place. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps its difficult for you to understand but different boilers have varying requirements for ventilation and maintenance access. You have not identified yours!

There could be a test point or internal joint which is leaking gas within the boiler casing.

However its difficult to immagine a leak which would cause a smell of gas outside AND inside.

Tony

You sometimes get a smell from boss white (plumbers sealant) when it is hot.

However, a gas leak is a serious danger, and you can get a free check from Transco (the gas transporter) if you report a suspected leak.

Obviously they won't do repair work for nothing, though I believe they will sometimes tighten up a loose connection if it's quick and easy, but they will investigate without charge, I think they have a free half-hour allowance. you will find the freephone number on your gas bill, phone book, etc, as the "Smell a leak? Call free" or similar.

If your boiler is boxed in then it will be up to you to expose it so they can have a look.

If there really is a leak, and your plumber/gasman couldn't or wouldn't help, find someone else.

(edited cos I carnt spele)

Thanks for the replies, I realise I didn't mention the make of the boiler, I suppose I have assumed that it was boxed in according to its specs as the boiler was boxed in by a builder under the employment of the plumber (who originally sourced it and fitted it). Will maybe contact TRANSCO. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Transco are expected to fix a leak if it can be done within 30 minutes.

I have NEVER known them to fix any leak.

Sometimes they seem to spend more than 30 minutes cutting pipes and capping them off.

Its as if they enjoy making it difficult for the RGI to find what they have done.

I once found a capped off pipe BEHIND an electric oven which they had rescrewed into place with no evidence to show what they had done.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back