Gas supply to boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to tap into gas pipe in order take 22mm feed to boiler position...need some advice please.

Gas pipe to meter is vertical and right up in the corner against the walls. Need to tap into it with a T - what type of T connection is best compression, capilliary or ring solder. Are normal compression fittings suitable for gas?

The pipe will run through an internal double wall - does it need sleeving? if so, what is best to use...at the moment I have 15mm pipe with no sleeving.

I think I feel competent... :confused: :)

Sponsored Links
I think I feel competent...

Clearly not as indicated by your questions - feeling competent is not the same as being competent - get someone in.

Gasguru said:
I think I feel competent...

Clearly not as indicated by your questions - feeling competent is not the same as being competent - get someone in.

No...no, believe me. Will be more so with the benefit of your experience...just want a considered opinon on what know what would be the best type of fitting to use.

Technically guys what is being put forward here is :- we can pay xxx amount of pounds and spend numerous days studying at training centers so we can then teach the diyer free of charge so he doesnt have to pay us to do the work. :confused: :mad: :confused: :(

Sponsored Links
Tinkler - there are several issues here, some of which you might not even be aware of. Get a corgi in.

ChrisR said:
Tinkler - there are several issues here, some of which you might not even be aware of. Get a corgi in.

Why...will it be able to sniff out the dodgy joints! :confused: :LOL:

Seriously...I think I can do it...but i'm going to get a corgi man to fit and commission the boiler and will ask him to check the work out...mainly because you guys are making me nervous about it - thanks for the concerned advice.

Be prepared for him to rip out your work and start again - I've had to do it loads of times - ends up costing the customer more for the extra agro.

Carry out Let by test..carry out tightness test (before you start..why)? ensuring all gas cocks/taps are open..got a fire? permanent pilot?..got a cooker..dropdown lid?..if you solder will you remove meter? Quantum, U6, G2?..what about Earth bonding strap?..Can you purge meter after re-installing..How?..Checked the rubber seals at meter for signs of perishing?...Got LDF handy..can you use it...where?...

That`s before you contemplate touching the pipework..Don`t mean to sound like a d*ck but it`s not as straightforward as you seem to believe,get someone in ;)

Gasguru said:
Be prepared for him to rip out your work and start again - I've had to do it loads of times - ends up costing the customer more for the extra agro.

Hmmm...have ever come across jobs that have been done well by DIYers? I suppose also the DIYer has to trust the CORGIman's integrity in such situations too.

Dont expect any CORGI person to in any way to approve any gas installation work that you have done.

Becoming registered is expensive and hard work for some and CORGI is very fussy about technical details.

I somehow get this impression that in spite of what you have said you have absolutely no intention of having any CORGI person involved at any stage.

Tony

Agile said:
Dont expect any CORGI person to in any way to approve any gas installation work that you have done.

Becoming registered is expensive and hard work for some and CORGI is very fussy about technical details.

I somehow get this impression that in spite of what you have said you have absolutely no intention of having any CORGI person involved at any stage.

Tony

NO, not so. I believe it could invalidate the boiler warranty unless it has been fitted by a CORGI man...and the LA have to be informed of the change of boiler by a qualified person.... I just wanted to reduce the amount of work (therefore cost) regarding boiler replacement.

No correct CORGI person will do what you need unless they have fitted the mounting bracket, flue, gas supply and comissioned the boiler!

Agile said:
No correct CORGI person will do what you need unless they have fitted the mounting bracket, flue, gas supply and comissioned the boiler!

Well that's sorted then!...definately want a proper one. Can you tell me what paperwork he should give on completion.

He should fill in the Benchmark Certificate and notify CORGI who will send you a letter confirming that he is registered and they will also notify Building Control who will use it as data when you sell for the remnants of the home information pack.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back