Gate Posts splitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya,
can anyone tell me how to stop the tops of gate posts splitting?
can i put a solution of pva glue on the wood to soak in?

Sponsored Links
Put a top knot doodah on them (I'm sure they have a proper name, but I don't know what it is :oops:), like the ones you get on fence posts only larger. I don't think PVA will help in this situation.

yaeh, they do have a name and I can't remember it either at the mo! LOL

Wood being a natural product will unfortunetly always move and crack. (The name for those cracks is a "Shake" by the way). There is very little anyone can do to stop it. Even very dense wood such as Purpleheart, LignumVitea, etc will still crack in time given the right conditions. This does not mean to say the wood is weak and will fall to bits. You can fill them, but it doesn't always stop the problem. Certainly a capping of some sort will help, as it will help prevent rain from entering the end grain, but there aint really a lot you can do....
Sorry :(

Woody

It's pretty simple to make a cap and that's the best solution. However, if you soak a 20% diluted Yacht Varnish into the end grain at a very dry time of year, you will go some way to impregnating the wood. Then add acouple of undiluted coats and you'll have it weather-proofed for a few years.

joe

Sponsored Links
"finial" OR A CAP OF SOME KIND, IT WILL ALWAYS OPEN AND CLOSE DEPENDING ON TIME OF YEAR
BEST OF LUCK

Finial !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done that man. been bugging me for days, but been too lazy to look it up! :LOL:

Woody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back