General Contractors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

seeking words of wisdom again. I've just got myself a job overseas (leave on Monday :eek: ) and the wife is going spare due to a lot of half finished jobs that are in progress inside and outside my house.

Since i can't take the grief anymore, and wanting to sub-contract out the work to finish them off, what would be the best course of action - divorce not one of them unfortunately :LOL:

Jobs range from tiling, plastering, joinery(doors), rendering, pebbledashing, painting, gardening.

Is there any such thing as a general contractor over here in the UK like they do back in the States, who will take on a 6 month contract for example to complete a list of works for a particular fee regardless of trade required?

Or am I going to have to get all the different trades people in?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
a lot of general builders will, and if they cannot do one area, some will project manage it to get someone another trade to do that area. You need to be carful about how you monitor it and make sure that it is all set down in writing, as some may see it as a chance to take you for a lot of money and cut corners if you are not around.

Thermo said:
a lot of general builders will, and if they cannot do one area, some will project manage it to get someone another trade to do that area. You need to be careful about how you monitor it and make sure that it is all set down in writing, as some may see it as a chance to take you for a lot of money and cut corners if you are not around.

That's what I'm worried about. We want to put the house in a finished condition before selling up. So can't afford to be fleeced by dodgy tradesmen. Probably, why I've done most of the DIY jobs myself, but with me getting called away more and more regularly of late, the DIY is starting to build up big time. Will have a scout around, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Back