General Election

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

The general election is on the way and we haven't really discussed it yet. here is a condensed comparison of the main contenders bull***t.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2005/issues/html/grid.stm?s1=CON_UK&s2=LAB_UK&s3=LD_UK&x=9&y=11

Anyone any comments on likes, dislikes, or comments on what none of them mention and you would like to see in the manifesto's?

I was glad to see the Tories against the EU constitution but would prefer them to go all the way.

I also like the LD's idea of looking after the elderly, if we are lucky we will all be old one day. The elderly are often vunerable and frail, they should not be put through the stress of losing homes or means testing to pay for care.

Agree with Lab, about hereditary peers, the lords needs reforming to give the people more say. Don't like the regional bit though, divide and conquer and all for the EU I'm afraid.

Thermo, have you finished that new boxing ring yet? :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well i cant vote, and would i vote anyway, well i wouldnt vote for Labour not sure about anybody else as i know sod all about them but no doubt our friend DAMOCLES will have a say on this and i bet you he mentions----- IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ

I'm voting Labour again but with more than just a bit of trepidation and doubt.

I'm sure I said it in a post on here before, but I entirely opposed the war in Iraq and swore then I wouldn't vote for Tony again.

However:

1. I beleive Labour have acheived a couple of things which are positive to me personally; namely the abolition of "Section 28" a few years ago, and more currently the stamp duty level which means that maybe one day I will be able to afford a house of my own.

2. I see no decent opposition. I think the Conservatives are still stuck in the dark ages with the stigma of Maggie, and I'm not sure that the Libs are quite ready to run the country yet (especially now CK has a new family member to spend his time on).

So that's my vote for the General Election sorted, we also have a County Election on the same day and I WON'T be voting for the Labour candidate in that one. I'll be voting for an Independent who happens to be my other half ;) !

Sponsored Links
jasy said:
Vote tory.F*CK Iraq :rolleyes:
they probably would , they F**K'ed up britain when they were in power and afterwards with maggie thatcher's son trying to do the same with another country with his failed attempts to fund a coup. vote tory at your peril!

There must be a lot of people who voted for Bliar hanging their heads right now. He has done so much damage. There's no turning back.

I'm sure I said it in a post on here before, but I entirely opposed the war in Iraq and swore then I wouldn't vote for Tony again.

However:

1. I beleive Labour have acheived a couple of things which are positive to me personally; namely the abolition of "Section 28" a few years ago, and more currently the stamp duty level which means that maybe one day I will be able to afford a house of my own.

2. I see no decent opposition. I think the Conservatives are still stuck in the dark ages with the stigma of Maggie, and I'm not sure that the Libs are quite ready to run the country yet (especially now CK has a new family member to spend his time on).

So that's my vote for the General Election sorted, we also have a County Election on the same day and I WON'T be voting for the Labour candidate in that one. I'll be voting for an Independent who happens to be my other half ;) !

So you're willing to have your taxes increased, crime go up, pension made worthless, savings worthless, be lied to; all for the sake of a reduction in stamp duty that effects next to no one as the number of properties that it applies to could probably be counted on one hand!!!

There's no opposition in your mind, so you will continue to vote Labour even though in the main you dont like what they have done over the last 8 years. WHY NOT ABSTAIN THEN!!!! :evil: :evil:

Its a bit hypocritical to then not vote for them in your local election, just because the other candidate is your partner. I see who wears the trousers in your household. :confused:

nstreet said:

However:

So you're willing to have your taxes increased, crime go up, pension made worthless, savings worthless, be lied to; all for the sake of a reduction in stamp duty that effects next to no one as the number of properties that it applies to could probably be counted on one hand!!!

There's no opposition in your mind, so you will continue to vote Labour even though in the main you dont like what they have done over the last 8 years. WHY NOT ABSTAIN THEN!!!! :evil: :evil:

Its a bit hypocritical to then not vote for them in your local election, just because the other candidate is your partner. I see who wears the trousers in your household. :confused:
you are free to vote for who you like so what's the problem? just because you don't agree with labour. Pensions have been in trouble from maggies days.
all the damage done by maggie selling off everything has been almost impossible to rectify. you can't put something right easily if maggie has taken away the basic materials needed for the job.

look at it this way, would Tony Blair have won such a resounding majority vote had the british public not been totally cheesed off with the tories mishandling of the country? I think NOT!

Yes you can vote for who you like, but you stated yourself that you had more than just a bit of trepidation and doubt, therefore why vote for them, if you are not 100% behind what they have done and what they stand for. All in the hope that you may get a reduction in stamp duty :confused: .

My point was if there isn't a party you believe in then you don't vote for anyone, rather than 'oh well they havn't done agood job, so I will vote again as I dont agree with the other two main runners'.

Yes they got a majority vote in the last GE but the turnout figures were one of the lowest on record I believe, so infact they were only voted in by a small part of the population. It's not like the whole country are behind them, far from it.

Ever thought of becominga Labour MP, I think you would do a good job, like the rest of them you are still blaming everything on the Tories. :LOL: :LOL:

It was kendor who replied to your post, not me!

The stamp duty issue IS relevant, it just depends where you live. Here in Grantham most first time buyer properties are £80-100k, so it has made a difference.

Yes, I am only voting Labour as (in my view) they're the lesser of several evils, but I don't see what good abstaining would do. I'd then have no say at all and the chance would be higher that a party I REALLY didn't want in power would get in.

i think a lot of people who would have voted tory didnt turn out because the party was in a mess and ids was in charge. I dont think blair was voted in because he had done such a great job. Still each to their own and i would rather somone voted, even if i didnt agree with their politics, than not voted at all. How many of those that didnt vote in the last election, or local elections, sit and moan about the state of everything?

nstreet said:
Ever thought of becominga Labour MP, I think you would do a good job, like the rest of them you are still blaming everything on the Tories. :LOL: :LOL:
what do you think the tories have been doing ever since they lost yes you got it blaming everyone else.
Great bit by tony today on the radio when he exposed how howard has changed his colours over immigration , how he is now trying to champion policies that labour have been introducing since 1998 and how he has complained against the very policies he wants to introduce himself simply because labour thought of them first. what a shyster!

Cutting stamp duty is not going to make a blind bit of difference to house prices. In the first place it is a pretty small amount compared to the total price. In the second, the price of a house does not depend on how much money I want for it, but on how much someone can afford to give me.

The amount someone can afford is fixed by how much he has in the bank and how much anyone is willing to lend him. If he gets a bit more because tax has gone then he can afford a bit more and will spend it. The first thing anyone works out when buying a house is exactly how much they can afford. Once everyone has done that they all rush out to the estate agent and bid for houses. All that happens if there is a bit more money about is that people compete with each other and the price goes up.

What might just work would be if stamp duty on buying your own house was abolished, but it was increased on any property not your main home. That way it might discourage speculators and second-homers just a bit.

Apart from that. which party is wiiling to BUILD MORE HOUSES?

D & J im saving unveiling the new ring for the fallout after the result.

Another reason not to vote for blair....he nicked one of our national emblems for his party, give the country back its red rose you red rose stealing grinning inane useless stealth taxing, moral high ground taking, lying, fat basterd northern git 2 jag driving employing, dr kelly sticthing up and topping, wmd lying, brown nosing bush, community charge hiking up, history wrecking, lying, ugly wife marrying, drunken children, crap guitar playing, lying, been in nr 10 far too long, scottish tax hiking up git employing, waste of space! :D

So let's encourage the tactical voting campaign to get Blair out of his parliamentary seat in sedgefield.

Do you really need to be a competent gutar player to be prime minister?

Sponsored Links
Back