General tile advice - Survey imminent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks ,
I have agreed a price on a 140yr old property in the Ceiriog Valley in North Wales.
The roof is of some concern to me. The roof is constructed out of slates and whilst it looks ok at the front and ok on the adjoining (terraced) properties there is a ridge approximatly in the middle of the roof at the rear. This ridge is about two metres long in the middle of the roof , the ridge travels from top to bottom in its direction not left to right. Its a raised area where the tiles should lie flat but actually the 'kick up' at the ends.

As you will no doubt have gathered I am a totally green , but does this ring any bells with anyone ? is there something that causes this ?

I am just a bit worried that the surveyor will recommend to the mortgage company that they withold some of the mortgage amount until repairs are complete.

The flip side is that if they survey goes well am I likely to get wind / rain blowing under these tiles ? I must state that the house has not been decorated for some years and that there are no visible signs of damp / water ingress being covered up on the inside.

Also worth noting is the the chimney stacks have quite obviously been totally renewed in the very recent past, just incase that has any bearing on all this.

Sponsored Links
i'm struggling to visualise this, is there any chance of a pic.do you mean it comes out from the main roof at 90 degrees or do you mean it comes straight down the roof from the ridgeline to the eaves.

Hi , I dont have a pic , but I am hoping to get some at the weekend.

I have made a very basic diagram which I hope will clear things up a bit .

The roof is traditional slate setup. the slates which cross the red line in the diagram are the ones that lift up about an inch at the bottom edge. So you have a line of slates down the roof which are lifting up , in a perfect line. If I didnt know better I'd swear that the support beam (truss ? ) under that row of tiles was higher than the rest of the roof :?:

diagram.jpg

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back