geothermal/ground heat, exchanger..tell em about it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would seem to be the heating of the future. Take water pump it round some pipes and extract the heat that its acumulated. I notice that all supermarkets now have a huge solar collector outside ie thier car parks, that got to be worth thinking about? is it really that easy or are thier huge drawbacks? Does in fact the heat in the surounding earth eventually come to an end/or just end up freezing?

Sponsored Links
Type :solar panel : , or : renewable energy supplies : , onto Google , sit down and read the results . Another one for thought is , :Helium 3 : .

It all looks fine until you investigate the detail!

1. These systems are less efficient when the temp differential is high!

2. 1 kW of electricity gives about 3-4 kW of heat BUT....

3. 1 kW of electricity takes 4 kW of gas to generate !!!

4. 1 kW of electricity cost the same as 4 kW of gas !!!

5. After a few weeks of cold weather like last ( this ) winter the supermarket car park has become an ice rink !!!

Tony Glazier

5. After a few weeks of cold weather like last ( this ) winter the supermarket car park has become an ice rink !!!
OK, charge admission to use their "skidpan", and let all the sliding warm it up again?

Sponsored Links
I ve looked up renewable energy etc... and most are not, takeing lots of oil to make (windmills etc) I just like the idea of sinking a bore hole in the house and getting heat...and wondered if anyoen had pratical experience. Theres a "Hotrocks" place just up the road from me and the house sits in granite, kind of apealing to use nuke engery of the earth itself ...

A typical heat pump can consume about 1 kW of electricity and give a heat output ( transfer ) of about 3-4 kW.

Thats on my planet anyway! Which planet are you on?

Tony

i had a hows it done with a mate this morning... so its basicaly a fridge... with the soil/bedrock being the inside of the fridge and the rad/heater in the house being the back of the fridge (which is hot to the touch just from stealing the heat from your yogerts). But what area is needed? One site says 100m bore hole (sounds expensive) and does the water go down and then return through another pipe? (and is the return pipe insulated?) Does the ground eventualy cool?

There are two typical types.

The borehole which can be 100 m and give good heat extraction if you are in a volcanic area!

The other system is where you bury something similar to underfloor heating ( or rather cooling ) in your garden usually about 750 mm down.

Thats the one where you progressively freeze up your garden during a prolonged cold spell and it then stops working just when you need it most.

To be honest for most of the year when its 5-10 °C outside and you want it 22°C inside that will work fine.

The real fallacy is that the higher cost of the electricity means the operating cost is no better than gas or oil which are more controllable.

Tony

Thats the one where you progressively freeze up your garden during a prolonged cold spell and it then stops working just when you need it most

I doubt VERY much that you'd EVER be able to extract enough heat from a ground matrix to create 'Permafrost' 750mm down. ISTR that the output temperature from a ground matrix is pretty much the same whatever the outside air temperature and solar gain. All the heat is from the mass of the Earth below the pipes.

If you want a 'running commentary' on real-life experience of living with a ground-source heat pump, see http://hedgerley.net/greening/, bearing in mind that this guy is SERIOUSLY Green and prepared to put a LOT of effort and cash into his system.

Ive also heard of heat extraction from running water in a similar way.... Though i think Super Insulation is the way to go i reckon that ground sourced heating is maybe a way to keep old houses livable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back