German plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a product in from Germany with a solenoid which has a plug attached (see photo) which has 2 pins and a "hole" presumably for an earth pin from the socket. The solenoid doesn't appear to be working when I plug it in via a 2 pin x 3 pin UK socket adaptor. Should it work or do I need another adaptor that uses the earth pin hole in the plug?? I am reluctant to cut the plug off and replace with a normal UK plug because of warranty.
PS not included photo as i cant see how to!!!

+++++++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:
I have deleted your duplicate post //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84597

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
Hi terry
join photobucket to get an account

http://photobucket.com/

you use it as an album and upload your pictures from your pc.
To place an image in your posts copy the URL link you will find it by the side of your picture when you have uploaded them. :)

I hope the appliance is double insulated if you are not connecting the earth!!!! That is down right dangerous otherwise!!!!

If you had made contact with Live and Neutral, and not the earth, the appliance would operate, albeit dangerously. I wonder if the appliance is squit, or you didn't manage to get the L and N to make contact - maybe the converter you used isn't designed for the purpose, and as such didn't make a good contact.

What is the spec on the appliance? Voltage, Amps etc?

Not sure what plugs the Germans use - Euro ones??

Here is a proper converter for one of those...

uk_plug_euro_socket.JPG

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you understand the correct operation of the equipment? Should the solenoid operate as soon as you plug the device in or do you need some form of switch to operate it?

The solenoid is used on a CO2 system for a Tropical fishtank, the solenoid/valve is used with a timer to shut off the CO2 overnight. I am now wondering if the plug adaptor I've used is at fault'cos my electric razor doesn't work off it!!!! The attached pic shows the arrangement.http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/terrycb/CO2manifoldsolenoid.jpg

Thks for all the help - I bought an adaptor from Maplin and it works!!! Great stuff thks again for all your help. Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back