Getting files from hard drive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My PC has just packed up, but I think the hard drive is ok, if I get a USB to IDE lead and Power supply do you think I will be able to get my files off the drive bearing in mind that it has an operating system on it to.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Sure, those things are lifesavers. You plug it into a WinXP machine after windows has already started up (just to avoid any boot confusion). XP will recognise it and then the hard part is browsing through dozens of folders and maybe user accounts trying to find your email, address book, drivers etc etc

So do you have any idea what's up with the PC, might be an easy fix?

richard271 said:
My PC has just packed up, but I think the hard drive is ok, if I get a USB to IDE lead and Power supply do you think I will be able to get my files off the drive bearing in mind that it has an operating system on it to.
Thanks for any help.

Assuming that the drive is OK , then yes. I recover data most days of the week using exactly that system.

The only issue you may have is if you password protected your XP account (assuming your old PC had Xp as its operating system) it may not allow you to move/view your files , but post backhere if thats the case and I'll give you a brief 'how to' jobbie. :D

Hi and thanks for the advice, as to the old PC it died with the smell of burning. I suspected the power supply, so I tried another and still nothing, I assume that psu as perhaps taken something else with it, perhaps you can advise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
richard271 said:
Hi and thanks for the advice, as to the old PC it died with the smell of burning. I suspected the power supply, so I tried another and still nothing, I assume that psu as perhaps taken something else with it, perhaps you can advise.

Thanks

Often the motherboard goes with the PSU. If the drives will spin up on the new PSU, then you have a fair chance at getting the data back.

It wasn't an E-Machine was it?

Hi.
No not E Machines (are you saying E Machines are a problem) it was supplied by Novatech.

With the new PSU the drive didn't spin, isn't all that switched by the mother board.
I took the PSU back and got refunded.

Cheers

richard271 said:
Hi.
No not E Machines (are you saying E Machines are a problem) it was supplied by Novatech.

With the new PSU the drive didn't spin, isn't all that switched by the mother board.
I took the PSU back and got refunded.

Cheers

It depends on how you tried to power up the PSU. Does the drive spin if you connect it to another machine, which I assume you have because you have because you were going to use a USB adaptor?

All the E-Machines I have seen that have blown a PSU take the motherboard, which is why I asked.

Go and re-purchase the PSU.

Connect it back to the drive

Follow these instructions to jump start the PSU.

Sponsored Links
Back