Getting switch to work with low voltage halogen lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Can anyone help me?

I have added some low voltage halogen lights to my front room. I have taken a spur off from the main lighting circuit which seems to have worked no problems. Trouble is I can't get the separate switch (dimmer for halogen lights) to turn on or off and they stay on all the time. The transformer does allow for a dimmer (according to instructions). The switch is wired to the same point as mains meets the transformer wires (via a junction box).

Thanks for any advice,

Andy.

Sponsored Links
If you have done what i think you have done then you have wired the feed cable to the load cable and the switch cable, i.e. 3 reds or browns and three blacks or blues and then three earths together. so effectively you have permanently fed the lights. the cable going to your switch has 3 cores, probaly a black and a reed and an earth or brown and blue and earth depending upon age. basicall all the live cables go together thus taking power to the switchthe core of the cable that comes back from the switch which is either blue or black will be the switched live, this needs colouring up with red or brown tape to indicate it is a live conductor. This core needs connecting to the live of your lights. the neutral in will be connected to the neutral to your light. SO you will have four sepperate connections, a permanent live to feed the switch , a neutral to the light a switched live from the switch to the light and an earth connection.

Hope this helps

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back