Giving Matt a Silk finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if there is any product that you can paint on top of Matt to give it a Silk effect?

I have painted a room using Matt as that particular colour not have a Silk alternative. Now I would prefer a Silk finish as the Matt becomes too grubby too quickly - I was thinking on the lines of some kind of clear varnish type product that would retain the colour but give a more silk finish.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Could you not have got the colour mixed with a silk base. Most decent paint makers colours are available in all their different paints, just because its not on the local sheds shelf (or on the small retail paint charts)does not mean its not available.

An Acrylic satin varnish will do but it will be easier and probably cheaper to have paint mixed.

Jason

Cheers for the reply Jason

It's a Laura Ashley paint (I hate these flashy poncy paints but there was no other brand with the same colour - groan). They only had Matt in the shop but at £20 a pot I don't really want to have to buy another pot of silk even if I do find it.

How much would the acrylic satin varnish be that you mention? I guess this would be around the paint section of DIY shop?

Something decent like Dulux Diamond glaze will actually cost a lot more than getting emulsion mixed up.

Jason

Sponsored Links
If you go to a big counter with a paint-mixing machine, they will have (for example) sixty different "pink" paints, the graduations in colour being almost imperceptible to the eye. It is very unlikely that they will be unable to match the colour you have got. You can take a sample card or two home to check (the sample cards have about a dozen slightly different colours so you can hold them up against the wall to get the match).

As you will be going over the same colouur you will probably only need one coat.

Go to a trade centre and ask for emulsion glaze..it normally comes in matt satin or gloss finish..you may need to give it two coats.

In the end I took a sample of the wallpaper to Homebase and had a colour match done in Silk finish. Looks superb!

Cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back