Glass patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am to have a 3m x 2m x 1m deep pond at the bottom of a bank this will have a waterfall that will drop into the pond so the pond will be approx 3/4 covered in glass and 1/4 open where the water will fall into!!

I would like a glass patio above the pond to be used as a patio for chairs at the most if at all, it will mostly just be a feature with lights in the water to shine up through the water and glass and see through to see the fish below. I am just wondering if glass is a good idea due to UV reasons more the sun light warming the water. I have contacted a few glass company's and they will supply sheets of reinforced glass used for glass walkways and stairs etc!
I just thought I would ask I would love the idea of sitting on top of the glass looking down on the fish.

Sponsored Links
Wonderful idea, have you mentioned your uv concerns to the glass manufacturer? You can get uv reflective glass, used on conservatories etc. I believe it's pricey though. Although if part of the pond will be open and you have a pump or fountain circulating the water I don't see it being a problem. You could even have the fountain spraying onto the underside of the glass for an interesting effect :idea:

It not quite double glazing glass its 38mm thick glass. I have had a few quotes on the glass and its about £600 per sq meter not including fitting or frames. I am just asking about the glass to other DIY or know it all's and waiting for someone to say no as I'll boil the fish through the glass!!

Once I have a idea on size I will ask the glazing company what there UV is!!

I dont really want the water to touch the underside of the glass!! The reason I want a glass patio is to see through it and if pond water was to hit it, it would become dirty quicker.

If water hits it, you are likely to get an algea problem. If you try to make the glass accessible for cleaning though then the patio idea would be great.
You might also get condensation problems on the underside of the glass in the summer.
Would the glass not be too slippery if its wet?? I noticed you said its already used for stairs though, so im assuming theyve already solved that problem

Sponsored Links
And make sure you can access all the pond too, for adding plants, trimming plants etc etc.

And the same for the filter boxes etc. With the water being under glass, you might want to add a UV filter aswell (based on the fact greenhouses make plants grow quicker..so this would probably do the same to any algae)

But with a good filter/uv/pump combo it should be crystal clear. Make sure you can get to it all easily though, for cleaning, and for removal of the uv filter when the weather gets cold

2 points....

could still become slippery when wet. if i am right in thinking its normally for internal applications.

might not be wise to use uv reflective glass at floor level as it would double the exposure to uv would be worse for kids and short ppl.

still sounds like an attractive idea tho in principle

I used the
icon_edit.gif
button to change your typo, you can too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back