Glazed door in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to replace all doors in the house. I've 2 bathrooms and they would have new doors too.

I was wondering of putting half glazed (opaque) doors in the bathroom. The reason being, if someone is inside, you can make that from the light coming out from the glass but since its opaque, its still invisible whos inside (if you see what I mean).

This is important for our downstairs bathroom as that does not have a glass panel at top, so you don't know whether its empty or occupied. The lock actually has been knackered because of this.

My wife says its a bad idea as she has never seen a half glazed wooden door on any bathrooms yet and she reckons it would look odd.

I would like to hear your views about my idea. Are bathrooms suitable for glazed doors (half glazed/ half timber).

Also, if someone could kindly mention any retailer who does reasonably priced 24 inch wide half glazed wooden door (77 inch tall), it would be great.

Thanks
Kunal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. You can guess who is laughing at the moment.

Well, I never thought a few opaque glass bits in a door give peeping tom ideas!!

Its 2-0 at the moment..

Sponsored Links
I have seen bathrooms with glazed doors and in particular storey windows where the door frame extends upwards and has a light (glazed panel) above the door. In fact one of the flats we lived in when I was young had just such an arrangement. It's not an uncommon approach in older apartment conversions in big houses or where an interior bathroom lacking windows is installed. I believe such glazed panels are referred to as "stolen light"

Scrit

Opaque means that it passes no light. That means the glass would be black.

Rightly or wrongly a lot of manufacturers use the term opaque to indicate frosted, acid-etched or sand-blasted regardless of the light transmission properties,. Google "opaque glass" and see what I mean

Scrit

Its really down to personal opinion, its not something that would ever be done in a new property but in the past its been done to get light into an otherwise dark landing via the bathroom door. Even with frosted glass you'll probably be able to see the profile of someone having a humpty or pointing percy at the porcelain which is what your wife is probably concerned about, my missus think's its daft too.

Scrit said:
Rightly or wrongly a lot of manufacturers use the term opaque to indicate frosted, acid-etched or sand-blasted regardless of the light transmission properties,. Google "opaque glass" and see what I mean

Scrit

Just because they employ unintelligent people doesn't mean that they can corrupt the language.

The word is 'translucent'.

I believe such glazed panels are referred to as "stolen light

I believe that term is just used on merseyside.
Everywhere else it is known as a borrowed light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back