Gloss painting exterior wood in cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father (in his seventies) was recently the victim of a break in. His house insurance company replaced the broken front door and frame, but now it needs painting. The door is not too bad because it has an undercoat on it, so I guess that that could wait until next year. However, the frame only has primer on it so it needs a couple of coats of gloss. Trouble is, I've heard that gloss paint shouldn't be used at temperatures below 10C, otherwise it's a waste of time cos the results could be a bit iffy. Also, the paint may not cure properly and remain tacky for ages.

Obviously, the chances of getting a weekend above 10C without rain at this time of the year (December) are pretty remote, so I need some advice. Do I risk leaving it to bear the brunt of the winter weather, until I can paint it next spring? Does anybody know how the professionals get around this problem? Would they just go ahead and paint, regardless of the temperature?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
you can normally tell when the paint doesnt want to be worked as it starts to go all gloppy like jelly and is hard to use. pick a day when it is dry and as warm as possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back