Gloworm swiftflow 75 problem today

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's todays problem for you all. pilot won't light high enough to even touch the TC and slowly diminishes whilst your still holding the knob in to lower than the level of the pronged thingy where the flame comes out of. I've stripped it back to the weep tube and blown through with dust air so there's no crap in it at all. Also i've tried adjusting the pilot with the pilot adjusting screw and no matter where i turn that it doesn't alter the size of the pilot flame. I'm thinking its the gas valve (which looks like a gloworm 45 from the old back boilers - black knob with orangey red pics but apparently it isn't according to UK Gas at Brighouse). Or maybe the valve solenoid? Can anyone shed any more light on todays topic? Sorry to be a pest but all the replies i'm getting IS teaching me and i am grateful.

Sponsored Links
Probably the gas valve but I would replace the injector first.

Is it a Giveg valve with the orange pilot, flame and off markings on the manual pilot button?

Whilst you are on with a Swiftflow..make sure the casing front cover is not distorted. They only have four screws..one at each corner and the last THREE I have been to have not been room sealing as the middle of the front plate has been bowed outwards. Gentle bending of the front cover restores the seal.

Can't help with you main question, though I have had failed overheat stats on them that trip the interupter behind the thermocouple on the gas valve.

Hate the ruddy things.

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Hate 'em too, horrible boiler. Gas valve is a complete nightmare to undo one of the bolts on each side, oh stat trips for fun....just horrible.

It sounds as if you have not briefly tested the pilot gas flow with the jet disconnected. It should give a quite audible sound.

Why do you think the pilot jet is not blocked?

Tony

took the nuts off the bottom of the pilot injector and TC and took the whole burner out and blew down it with dust air and i then took the weep tube out of the gas valve and blew down that also from both ends and i could feel the air at the other end. replaced it and pushed the knob in and can smell the gas coming out of the weep tube. Give it a thorough cleaning whilst all were out (another birds nest) and the pilot does light, just not high enough to even touch the TC. Tried it in every conceivable 1/2 turn position of the pilot adjusting screw and it makes no difference to the size of the pilot which starts off by being just proud of the pronged bit and then diminishes to just above the injector? Only thing i didn't try was checking the meter to see if someone has half turned off the ecv? Gonna look at that today. No-one has the valve in stock anyway. Customer complaining that she 'thought it was illegal for me to leave her without heat as she has a child under 3'? Is that correct?

Jezzy said:
thought it was illegal for me to leave her without heat as she has a child under 3'? Is that correct?

lol...walk away, walk away.

Jezzy, you dont seem to want to read what I am saying!

Again, why do you think that its anything else apart from a restricted pilot injector?

Why not replace it ???

Tony

Sorted now. I thought it was the valve because i had stripped it all down and blasted the pilot injector with air. I was fitting meters a month ago and last night i thought to myself that it might be a faulty governor. Went back today and the first thing she said to me was 'did you do something with the gas yesterday cos my cookers got hardly any gas now'. Checked the WP. . . 5mb !!! Rang transco and after they had been and changed the governor i went back to reset the valve and pilot. Thanks for all your replies. Its probably the last thing you would think to check (although it should be one of the first) but it just goes to show. If i have an unadjustable pilot again i will check the WP 1st. Didn't order a gas valve and went with the suggestion to take a new injector just in case so only £9 wasted today as opposed to £133! Def need to do a faultfinding course though!

Don't kick yourself too hard. It's really easy to get an idea in your head and not see the bleedin obvious.
If you think you've found a faulty bit, find another way to verify it's really the fault.
If logic is telling you that what you're seeing is impossible, sit back, do whatever you do instead of having a fag, and ask yourself whether you're being a donkey or not. Rather too often I find the answer is "Hee Haw" :oops:

ChrisR said:
Don't kick yourself too hard. It's really easy to get an idea in your head and not see the bleedin obvious.
If you think you've found a faulty bit, find another way to verify it's really the fault.
If logic is telling you that what you're seeing is impossible, sit back, do whatever you do instead of having a fag, and ask yourself whether you're being a donkey or not. Rather too often I find the answer is "Hee Haw" :oops:

True words Chris.

Listen. Look. Fix. Listen again :evil:

Just to give you all a laugh..the office rang me at ten to five this aft and sent me to a "no heat no HW"....got there and it was a Glow Worm 24Ci combi showing F1 (no gas). Checked the meter was on..always a good start!! It refused to reset repeatedly..so i'm thinking..gas valve...I havn't got one, its five oclock...oh s**t..its not good form to dump it on the guy on call-out (who carries a spares box)..

Its been a long day..I'm tired..temper getting short so I shouted at the damn thing and hit it with my fist....you know whats coming next. It reset next try and ran perfectly for the next fifteen minutes including test resets, so lord only knows what was really wrong with it. :LOL: :LOL: Job Done :oops:

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back