Glue wood to floating chipboard? Tatami mat installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Conservatory is built :)

Floating floor (DPM + 100mm concrete screed + 100mm Jabolite + DPM + 22mm chip) laid :D

55mm thick tatami mats laid out :D

35mm gap all the way round needs filling with wooden floor :confused:

The mats are 55mm deep, so I had considered laying a 35mm x 55mm (ash) wooden strip all the way round the room. Question is, how do I get it to stay down? The T&G chipboard is fully glued and rock solid. I am guessing, but provided I ONLY stick to the chipboard (and not the walls, indeed, I should leave a 10mm gap and put a bead over it) then I should be okay?

There could be a difference in expansion between the chipboard and solid ash (or whatever). Would Evo gripfix be strong enough?

Or any better ideas?

TIA

jmb86

Sponsored Links
"There could be a difference in expansion between the chipboard and solid ash (or whatever)."
Yes but not too much in the direction of the grain in the ash. You need a wood scientist to tell you the figures!

"Would Evo gripfix be strong enough?" Probably, though it's a bit thick. PVA or woodworkers Yellow Glue would be easier.

Try a woodworkers forum?

jmb86 said:
I am guessing, but provided I ONLY stick to the chipboard (and not the walls, indeed, I should leave a 10mm gap and put a bead over it) then I should be okay?

Normally you only need a 10mm gap between wooden floor and wall. Since you're only installing a wooden frame of 35mm wide there is not really a need for an expansion gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back