gluing wooden floorboards onto bitumen covered concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to glue some pine floorboards down onto concrete that was originally covered by parquet . When the parquet was lifted up a very thin level coating of bitumen was left. This seems stable and well bonded to the concrete. Can I use normal floor adhesive that is meant for wood to concrete or do I have to use a bitumen adhesive because of what is there already?I have seen various bitumen adhesives for sale but they seem to be for parquet as you dip the parquet blocks into it before placing them. Can this be used for planks or does it set too quickly to be used on larger areas(obviously I would only do one plank at a time.) Thanks in advance. Jim

Sponsored Links
Any bitumen residue will effect the bonding time of 'normal' adhesive (like Stycobond B92, Lecol5500 or Mapei), but will do the trick if you leave enough time.
Other solution would be to install the floor floating, installing a combi underlayment first (DPM + sound-insulation) and glueing the T&G's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back