Gnats and flies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last few days i have noticed that we seem to have loads of gnat things buzzing around in our back garden. They only seem to collect at one point and unfortunatly this is around my new decking and patio set which is directly when you walk out of our house.

Does anyone know why they are so interested in this area? They dont seem to be anywhere else at all.

How can i get rid of them. Any ideas?
I wouldnt mind if they were right at the bottom of the garden but my missus has a hissy fit if shes out there longer than 2 minutes and runs in the house waving her arms about in a crazy fashion!
Help! :)

Sponsored Links
Could there be a pool of stagnant water under the decking, where they breed? A drop of parafin on the surface will kill the larvae.

Sponsored Links
It's all to do with heat. These flies economise on energy used in flight by sighting themselves over areas of convected heat like decking, footpaths etc. They are simply using the thermal updraft like eagles do.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back