Government listens to British Industry, hurrah!

It's interesting that many on here have spent years denying the fact that immigration has helped suppress wages, now every politician from every party acknowledges that wages have stagnated for ten years because of cheap imported labour.
Nonsense. Tories have always welcomed low wages and outwardly encouraged it.

Meanwhile, prices had remained low until Brexit - correct. Be prepared to see massive price increases, inflation, shortages and misery. Tip of the iceberg. Using the army to bail out Brexit Britain FFS.

Brexit - an immense pile of poo (even Boris admits it).

Sponsored Links
There will be a period of adjustment, how long?, who knows. I'd expect to see positive results before the next election.
Is the next election 50 years away?

In the meantime...

"Boris Johnson has put the British public on notice to expect empty shelves in the run-up to Christmas"

Brexit, the evil christmas gift - only it's not just for christmas! (n)

It slipped in a reference about shortages in Europe, without explaining any further. That sort of reporting is irresponsible.
There are shortages here.

We are in Europe.

From the perspective of the USA there does not have to be shortages in every country in Europe for there to be "shortages in Europe", just like from our perspective there does not have to be shortages in every state for there to be "shortages in the USA".

The article wasabout structural problems in the US supply chain and changes in shopper behaviour. It was sufficient for the scope and target readership of the article to say that there are similar problems "in Europe".

It's interesting that many on here have spent years denying the fact that immigration has helped suppress wages, now every politician from every party acknowledges that wages have stagnated for ten years because of cheap imported labour.
There will be a period of adjustment, how long?, who knows. I'd expect to see positive results before the next election.

They are currently putting a positive spin on the situation ;) and you know it.

Next comes phase 2 for lower wages. Train lots and lots of people and create a surplus. That has even gone on with degrees. Not enough so turn out too many.

I do agree with companies training their own rather than insisting people are born in other countries with certain skills at birth such as using a sewing machine or cooking curries etc. In some areas it would appear that our nationals do not want the jobs. Taiwan has that problem hence the barracks for temporary immigrants that hit the news due to covid spread. They also have an idea on what to do with their own unemployed. They get support providing they retrain. Seems banks deciding to loose a lot has messed that up.

:mrgreen:Even electricians seem to have got cheaper.

I wonder when covid inflation will kick in. Lots of companies have debt, big and small. How will they pay it off. Via us ordinary bods of course - price rises. Or will gov just write it off. Rent has it's interesting aspects all round. Holidays for it are one thing catching up again something else.

Sponsored Links
I await with interest the scenario where higher wages accompanied by higher prices and not accompanied by productivity improvements, less inequality and more equitable taxation will make us all better off.

Well some truck drivers are currently better off. Up go prices and the rest of us pay for it. Turnover of the company running it does too and they expect a decent % margin so that goes up as well. Maybe they should upgrade HGV engines and reset the speed limiters to 100mph. They can then improve productivity.

I only use one Tesco. Big increase in people using self checkout. Also shoving their card into petrol pumps. Another type of productivity improvement - less people needed. That is often what the word means very much so in manufacture but in real terms we haven't got that much of that and extremes tend to be very expensive. Cheap labour solves that problem which is why lots go overseas.

Funny how the Tories and the RW press and their brain-washees have never made anywhere near as much fuss about jobs being taken to foreigners to do in their countries as they have about the much smaller number of foreigners coming here to do jobs.

I await with interest the scenario where higher wages accompanied by higher prices and not accompanied by productivity improvements, less inequality and more equitable taxation will make us all better off.

I wish you'd write posts like that all the time. Concise, accurate, unbiased, no point scoring, no left/right blah blah, no insults, no obvious agenda other than fact. That trumps any bias I may have.

Has your account been hacked??? (Meant with good humour etc)

Funny how the Tories and the RW press and their brain-washees have never made anywhere near as much fuss about jobs being taken to foreigners to do in their countries as they have about the much smaller number of foreigners coming here to do jobs.

A lot of it started with transistor radios and etc. Hand soldered so needs rooms full of cheap people. These days it's pick and place machines and wave solderers etc. They don't need any people at all other than some one to load them and there could even be ways around that if needed and probably are if volumes are high enough.

Using the facilities in other countries can have advantages. Design something and then get it made elsewhere using the best gear available and at lower costs. Here's an example of what largely one man can do
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/niche-zero-the-best-conical-burr-coffee-grinder#/
Sells direct now world wide but doesn't employ many people. He did build here too mostly using his family for a lot of it. Doubt if he does now.

Problem - people need to be able to do what he can, put the time in and also put money in upfront to prototype. Even those bits may still be made in China.

Then comes Dyson. Built here but importing so many parts that became ridiculous so had them built there as well.

What's left for people is design and software ish areas. The whole world is into that. There are rather a lot of people getting into it.Even Rolls Royce is telling it's suppliers to make in China. As time goes on China's design capability will improve. Already has in some areas. Their people will get more expensive and work may go elsewhere. This sort of evolution has gone on in a few already. Taiwan and S Korea spring to mind. Both gone in totally different directions.

There are shortages here.

We are in Europe.

From the perspective of the USA there does not have to be shortages in every country in Europe for there to be "shortages in Europe", just like from our perspective there does not have to be shortages in every state for there to be "shortages in the USA".

The article was about structural problems in the US supply chain and changes in shopper behaviour. It was sufficient for the scope and target readership of the article to say that there are similar problems "in Europe".
OK, Mr Pedantic. What you say is strictly correct. But I saw the article presented as a potential justification for empty shelves in UK because there are also empty shelves in wider Europe (as well as USA), and as you quite rightly pointed out, the article stated Europe. not EU, and as you again quite rightly pointed out, UK is also in Europe.
So yes, the article was strictly correct. But it is rather strange that the article was worded to as to give the impression that empty shelves are not limited to USA and UK, and they are Europe wide, when apparently they are not, (except for the exceptional case in Brussels recently). The article could have stated USA and UK alone are suffering from empty shelves. (and of course, let's not forget that third world countries continually have empty shelves, sometimes for months on end,) It is recognised that there are supply chain problems world wide, but only a few rich countries (namely USA and UK) are suffering empty shelves.

AngleEyes and Captain Nemesis having a little tête-à-tête.
Any reason why we shouldn't have a disagreement?
I'm surprised you felt the need to comment, quite honestly.

AngleEyes and Captain Nemesis having a little tête-à-tête.

All down to the reporting style. Europe sounds much better than the UK.

Some truth too but rather indirect. There are supply problems all round especially on imports. The UK's have that ;) with more bells on from the EU plus it's own which are transport based.

I wish you'd write posts like that all the time. Concise, accurate, unbiased, no point scoring, no left/right blah blah, no insults, no obvious agenda other than fact. That trumps any bias I may have.
So says a bloke who voted for Brexit just to annoy posters on an internet forum. That bastion of all things fair - m-itch.:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back