Gravel flower bed: tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the weed-ridden flower beds round the perimeter of my house with low maintenance gravel beds.

* How far in the soil do I dig down/how thick a layer of gravel do I need?
* Do I need to put a liner down to prevent weeds coming through?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
well worth to put a liner down, dont need to buy expensive garden liner just get some sturdy polythene sheeting.
If you do this you dont need too much gravel 1-2 inch should do ,

Thanks shiznit76.

I take it the same applies if using bark chippings?

Mike

yes but bark chippings tend to dry out and get blown about or used by the local cats, best to go with gravel

Sponsored Links
i suggest you do not use polythene.

if the ground points towards anywhere, when it rains, where do you suppose thw water will go?

may i suggest you get a "membrane" from any shed / garden centre, these let water through.

depth of gravel depends on size of stones, but its your choice at the end of the day.

A polythene sheet with prevent the rain passing through causing the gravel to get water logged and possibly start smelling from the stagnant water.
A proper weed suppresor membrane will allow the water through and allow air through to the soil keeping it healthy.
You could plant into the soil by cutting an X in the membrane and planting through it then putting the membrane back around the plant to stop any other weeds coming through.

A polythene sheet with prevent the rain passing through causing the gravel to get water logged and possibly start smelling from the stagnant water.
A proper weed suppresor membrane will allow the water through and allow air through to the soil keeping it healthy.

Thanks. Would a polythene sheet with a few rips in it be as efficient as a weed suppressor membrane, yet still allow drainage of rain water?

Edit the quote

So, your making a cats toliet then :LOL:

Beware if the gravel is small enough the local cat population will use it as a loo, they also like wood chipping beds. Make sure you put some sort of liner underneath, both to stop the weeds and the cats. Chicken wire is brilliant under gravel for stopping the cats digging at it.

Oh, I didn't realise it would attract moggies.
Maybe its time for a rethink.

Mike

Mike004 use the quote button from Dewy post then delete what you need to do ;)

I ...ahem ,(don't tell tell the misses :oops: ) ripped a pond liner by mistake .
To cut cut a long story short, new pond liner was in, old one lying there, levelled ground, put old pond liner over, threw gravel on top, did chess board pattern through gravel/liner with garden fork ( but we do have moisture loving plants ), no probs !

mike004 said:

Mike
Use a 3/8" "ballast" , no probs, our cat now does "poopies" elsewhere

you could use a slate mulch, not so cat friendly and looks good. Weed membrane costs a few quid, dont skimp on it

Do they sell this in the sheds?
They usually have a choice of pea shingle, or more expensive stone chips.

Mike

Scoby_Beasley said:
mike004 said:

Mike

That's why we just purchased a dog ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back