Great Britons - revisited

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was there ever a contest?

BBC said:
Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Churchill was a politician and wartime prime minister who led Britain to victory in World War Two.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill was born on 30 November 1874 at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire.
Attended the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, before embarking on an army career.
He saw action on the North West Frontier of India and in the Sudan.
While working as a journalist during the Boer War he was captured and made a prisoner-of-war before escaping.

1900, Churchill became Conservative member of parliament for Oldham. Age.26

1904 Joined the Liberal Party, having become disaffected with cons. Age.30

1905 Liberals won the election. Churchill was appointed undersecretary at the Colonial Office. Age.31
1908 Entered the Cabinet as president of the Board of Trade, Age.34
1910 Home secretary. Age.36
1911 first lord of the Admiralty. Age.37
After the disastrous Dardanelles expedition, for which he was blamed, he resigned.

He joined the army, serving for a time on the Western Front.

1917, Back in government as minister of munitions. Age.43
1919 to 1921 He was secretary of state for war and air, Age.45 - 47
1924-1929 Chancellor of the exchequer. Age.50 - 55

The next decade were his 'wilderness years'. Age.56 - 65
Opposition to Indian self-rule and his support for Edward VIII during the 'Abdication Crisis' made him unpopular.

His warnings about the rise of Nazi Germany and the need for British rearmament were ignored.

1939 war broke out in Europe. Becomes first lord of the Admiralty. Age.65

1940 (May), Neville Chamberlain resigned as prime minister. Churchill took his place. Age.66
His refusal to surrender to Nazi Germany inspired the country.
He worked tirelessly throughout the war, building strong relations with US President Roosevelt while maintaining a sometimes difficult alliance with the Soviet Union.

1945 Churchill lost power in the post-war election but remained leader of the opposition. Age.71
Voicing apprehensions about the Cold War (he popularised the term 'Iron Curtain') and encouraging European and trans-Atlantic unity.

1951, prime minister again. Age.77
1955 resigned, but remained an MP until shortly before his death. Age.81 - 90

As well as his many political achievements, he left a legacy of an impressive number of publications.
1953 won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Age.79

Churchill died on 24 January 1965 and was given a state funeral.

Breathtaking wasn't it?

He just kept on, keeping on...

:!:

Sponsored Links
no mention of sending the troops to crush the Welsh miners?

"army career" is a bit of an exaggeration. He didn't stay long.

Apart from doing well in 1940-45, I don't see he led a life of such great achievement as he liked to portray.

He was opposed to the introduction of the great post-war social reforms, including the NHS, which is why his lot were booted out.

I'm sure he would not have won the Nobel prize; or been PM a second time, except in gratitude for his wartime performance.

Although he remained an MP for many years after finally being booted out, he was no use as a constituency MP.

His wartime performance was enough to remember him by, without needing to pretend that the rest of his life was a great success.

he did have a great wit apparently.

woman: sir, you are drunk.

churchill: i may be drunk madam, but you are overweight and ugly, and i shall be sober in the morning.

woman: if i were your wife i would put poison in your tea.

churchill: madam, if i were your husband, i'd drink it.

Look at the list... No one gets all those posts / recalls for nothing...

When the Hun over-ran France he was almost alone defying those who would sue for peace... We should be thankful for that.

He was plainly and simply a tenacious warrior unafraid to take massive decisions... His voice was eagerly awaited on the old radio by the people waiting at home.
A hard man in a harsh world.
:!:

Sponsored Links
We wouldn't have the freedom to express our opinons in this forum if Churchill had not been the person he was. And those he inspired to fight for freedom must be thanked as well.

nickso said:
woman: if i were your wife i would put poison in your tea.

churchill: madam, if i were your husband, i'd drink it.

Funnier than most of the shate they call comedy these days. :D :D :D :D

JohnD said:
His wartime performance was enough to remember him by, without needing to pretend that the rest of his life was a great success.
I think you're being duly unfair - he had a long political career before becoming PM and though he wasnt in the Army long he was bloody brave and got decorated for it from what I recall.

Sponsored Links
Back