GREAT IDEA FOR LOFT FLOOR, BUT, IS IT FEASIBLE ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:idea: My house is a dormer style there being upstairs 2 beds to the front and to the rear a bathroom. When standing in the bathroom and facing back garden on the righthand side there is a small doorway leading to the other side of the bathroom, so a small attic really which is the right side of the house.

Hope your not all too confused, just trying to help you all visualise a little.

We want to make this space into a small room ie, for storage. It measures approx 10 foot x 6.5 foot. We have had a Velux fitted and there are no supporting beams or anything that would need to be removed. Obviously we cant just board existing joists. I have read posts time after time and know this is not the way to do it and although at the moment it would be for storage who knows, if it turns out ok I may move into it.

Right, judging the bathroom floor I had presumed the same method would copied in this attic area and then I found my Wickes brouchere. I read the section on garden decking and the kit that you can buy which consists of an outer frame and joists inside the framework, with further joists crossing the first lot, and as bonus these are already notched to sit over the first lot of joists, so you end up with a framework with what would like all square sections in it. My thought was, as the framework is bigger than my attic area, can I not cut the framework and joists to the required lengths, screw the framework to the walls in the attic room, then fit the joists as and where necessary and then board the lot. Would this be strong enough? I mean its meant for outdoors so is facing all the weathers and these kits produced too weak as they would rot like hell outside.

I await your thoughts on this. :?: :?: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thats not the way to do it. The decking kits are supposed to be supported at regular intervals using blocks, bearers or posts. You won't be able to recreate that support in the roofspace except over loadbearing beams and supporting walls. 10x6 area will be easy to span with standard 6x2's.
Work out where supporting walls (external walls for example) are and take it from there.

Ok it was just an idea. But leading from that and instead of attaching putting steel hanger things and using load bearing walls ( of which there is one between the bathroom wall and this attic area ) you say it would be easy to span this 10 x 6 area with 6x2's, does this then mean I can still build a similar framework around the room, the load bearing wall is bit skimpy in the attic part and I wouldnt feel confident fixing joists to these edges, a framework would give me a ledge all around and I can then work off that, would that be ok or not? I really feel like I can do this myself but would like to get it right. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back