Green CH pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Bargain Bucket, 16 Jan 2021.

1. Bargain Bucket

Bargain Bucket

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the floorboards up and have noticed one length of CH pipe that is thick with green crust along it's entire length (It's about 2m long, between two compression joints). Its as dry as a bone so no abvious leaks. Do I need to be concerned and replace it?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No and no.

Copper will become green.

Copper turns green because of chemical reactions with the elements. ... Just as iron that is left unprotected in open air will corrode and form a flaky orange-red outer layer, copper that is exposed to the elements undergoes a series of chemical reactions that give the shiny metal a pale green outer layer called a patina, as seen on major buildings, Churches Etc where the copper external dome changes colour

Ken.

4. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    indoors? a "crust" sounds odd all the way along the pipe. It's more common at a joint, from flux or a water leak.

I like to clean it off with a green nylon scouring pad and wipe off with a damp cloth.

If, in future, it comes back, that indicates an active leak and is easy to spot.

Maybe Ken gets more industrial pollution, but my copper pipes, indoors or out, just patinate to dark brown, like an old penny.

5. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bargain Bucket - would you post a pic? I'm with JohnD -never seen verdigris like yours on an inside pipe.

6. Bargain Bucket

Bargain Bucket

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Will do. Might take a day or so as my I did my back in last night (recurring problem as I get older).

7. Bargain Bucket

Bargain Bucket

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As requested, here's the green pipe.

Attached Files:

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links