green residue on copper pipes (near joints - caused by flux)

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by lemon_1, 17 Jun 2018.

1. Combicert

Combicert

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    To answer the initial question - yes... the green is flux. Wipe as much off as you can with a wet rag and a bit of elbow grease.

Some may be inaccessible - your options are limited with this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    it will come off easier with a green nylon pan scourer and a bit of washing up liquid.

An advantage of clean, bright pipework is that if there should later be any slight leakage or a weeping joint, the scale and green stain will be very obvious to the eye.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is a misconception and there isn't any resentment.

I've yet to hear from any pro who is annoyed by somebody that wants to DIY.

In general, DIY is only possible in some areas of building and carpentry. Almost all electrical and anything to do with gas or central heating boiler needs to be done by a pro with the correct qualifications with trade membership -gas safe, NICEIC etc.

5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands

but a lot of the queries on here are simple things like "dripping tap" "TRV stuck" "broken light switch" "immersion thermostat failed." It's very puzzling to a beginner why a ceiling rose is wired like that, but it's not difficult when you know how.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lemon_1

lemon_1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    To be honest with you Im not knocking it.

Why give advice for free when you can charge for it. It's the very essence of capitalism.

What annoys me is the pretence of some of you DIY'ers. Maybe you're just trolling I don't know. Or maybe you like to keep licking the pros behind because you know which side your bread is buttered. Either way I call a spade a spade.

Keep on licking if that's the way you roll.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2018
  7. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thats certainly true.

Many years ago I fell for undoing a ceiling rose not realising how its wired. The red/black switch wire catches lots of people out!

8. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    there are a few idiots in every walk of life, does matter whether it's in building/diy, cyclists, white vans, foreigners, young people of today, old people, it's pretty much a similar portion of them all.

Problems usually just come from a combination of miscommunication and lack of seeing the other person's point of view. It happens and we just move on. I came here first full of enthusiasm and hacked everyone off by not looking from their angle, but everyone has a life other than this forum and it's too short to get annoyed at what someone wrote on the internet! Everyone gets more than they put in because it's a community, nothing to do with money.

9. lemon_1

lemon_1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Off topic, but can you change your username to avoid being confused with @JohnD ?

You're allowed to change your username in the settings.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. lemon_1 It may look shyte from the outside but consider some wannabe plumber types use to assemble their end feed fittings and apply self cleaning flux to the outside joint area only and solder away.

That will seal just the outer fitting/pipe circumference,only luck will allow solder to flow to where it should be. They are easily pulled apart (n).

Hope not to many gas copper soldered fittings have not been compromised :mrgreen:

• Like Like x 1
  12. lemon_1

lemon_1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The more I think about it, I reckon only self cleaning flux can be used.

The reason for this is because there might be flux on the inside of the fitting. Obviously that can't be cleaned and wouldn't have been flushed for gas pipes.

So my advice is don't worry about it. But as @JohnD says feel free to clean the outside.. but it will never corrode and cause a leak (I hope!)

13. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Already did, after I got a welcoming email from him within moments of joining the community! I'm used to having a common name so it doesn't bother me too much.

14. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Popular.

15. lemon_1

lemon_1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure it doesn't bother you... But it's a bit confusing for some of us tbh.

Especially since you are both regulars.

How about a name like:
    DeWaltzWithMe
    LubeMySpanner
    GreaseMyManhole
    DIWifeSwap

All fun and something cheeky

• Like Like x 1
  16. nothing to do with pro dislikin diy etc...Certainly not for me..More about law of the playground..As soon as someone bites you just keep on reelin em in!!.

17. sbgasman

sbgasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the use of washing up liquid as a leak detector was stopped many years ago because of corrosion issues.

• Thanks Thanks x 1