Green sticky stuff in ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just attempting to change the light fitting and the white plastic ceiling rose (that unscrews) has bright green semi liquid) deposit in its wire side... what is that then!.....

Sponsored Links
Hi sidecar,
I have worked on an estate riddled with it !
I think it's called 'Di isoctylphthalate'.
Anti oxidants ( to improve the temperature performance of P.V.C cables )
and the plasticiser, ( which makes the cable more pliable ) together react and the goo is the result.
It is highly toxic.
Unless the copper oxide is very high, ( very green in colour ) the goo is non conductive.
Best thing I find is to clean it all off and test the circuits thouroughly.
I hope this is of some aid.

Was the house built in the mid sixties through the mid seventies ?

Sponsored Links
sparky40 said:
I think it's called 'Di isoctylphthalate'.
Close - the plasticiser chemical is Di Octyl Phthalate.

It is highly toxic.
No it's not. The plasticiser itself is used in food packaging, and copper oxide (that makes the goo green, DOP being colourless) is not highly toxic. It'll make you ill - nausea, diarrhea etc, but unless you have a rare genetic condition that makes you susceptible to copper poisoning, that's all. We're assuming here normal careless exposure to the goo - e.g. not wearing gloves and not washing your hands before eating etc - if you try to clean up the accessories by licking them your illness may vary.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57536

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33923

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28804

Green exudate from PVC

Draft BCA statement (April 2001)

1) PVC

PVC comes in two main grades, plasticised and unplasticised PVC.

Unplasticised PVC (UPVC) is used for example in double glazing window frames where a rigid material is required.

The PVC used for manufacture of cables is a plasticised PVC that conforms to the relevant British Standard for the cable type in question.

2) Ageing effects

As a cable ages (at temperatures above normal ambient) the elongation to break decreases (also the Insulation Resistance increases). The life expectancy of a cable is arbitrarily considered to be when the elongation to break of the PVC is 50%.
A lower elongation to break value could be considered suitable especially for a fixed wiring cable. Therefore, providing the cable is not subject to movement or when moved due to inspection of socket outlet or the like, the PVC does not crack, a much lower value of elongation to break is considered by some as suitable.

3) Greening

Greening is the appearance of a wet green substance that is a product of an adverse reaction between certain types of plasticiser and the copper conductors. This greening, which is a rare occurrence, can happen either after a long period of time for some cables, or if the cable has been severely overheated.
The plasticiser itself is a clear oily liquid that is non conductive. The green substance is a combination of copper oxide and plasticiser which may become conductive under certain adverse conditions.

4) Action if Greening is found

Therefore whenever this green substance is found at socket outlets etc. initially it should be removed and the terminations cleaned (gloves should be used) otherwise it is possible that tracking/overheating may occur. It is strongly recommended that rewiring should be carried out as soon as possible.

If further information is required, the original cable manufacturer should be contacted.

Well thanks for the information, i notice that it burned when left on my skin!.. as for rewiring... not going to happen, not for a some long years anyway. Cant afford it. The house as put up in 1800 but "done up" (more like done over actual) in the mid seventies. Ive only found the green slime in one ceiling rose. So I'll clean it up put a new one up and studiously ignore it.

Thanks for the replies

We used di-octyl phthalate at work as a process lubricant in a rubber mixer and the warning on the side of the drum says can cause infertilty/harm to the unborn child

Having read BAS's post I sit corrected. Maybe if you have not had a periodic inspection done recently then it may be worth doing so.
When you look at the cost over peace of mind, it's worth every penny.

sparky40 said:
Maybe if you have not had a periodic inspection done recently then it may be worth doing so.

No, because we made the mistake of letting British Gas in last year. And that's wiped us out of money for the next few years. Letting someone with a vested interest in condemning the wires in is unthinkable. No disrespect to anyone but i cant afford new wires. I presume the fuses Will blow etc when they need fixing.

Without having the test's done how do you know that the fuses will blow !

Replacing a fuse does not mean that the problem is fixed does it ?

Not all sparks are out to rob you Jon.

Sleep well. :LOL:

I have never been anything other than impartial when carrying out a PIR.

I work for a company, not for myself and could not care in the slightest whether the PIR wins the company repairs or not, and besides we have made our money from carrying out the PIR.

Perhaps get a PIR done by a company who only do testing, then they will not have a vested interest in the outcome of the PIR.

Yes, RF. general rule = co who does the PIR doesnt get the job to remedy and this should be made clear when letting the PIR job.

Mind you, there's lots of companies who are pretty useless at inspection and test (and remedial works) and some good ones too (must create a balance or folks will complain).

As in all things, ask for recommendations rather than use a pin in the Yellow Pages.

TTC

I meant no disrespect to all the Sparkies out there. But its simply a matter of economics. The wires work, so they dont need fixing. The walls stand up so they don't need fixing, the roof keeps the rain out so that's fine with me too.

No sense looking for trouble ah.... anyone smell burning?
Will i fall down the non regs stairs? be asphyxiated by the non regs coal stove? fall out of the rotten front bathroom window? Go through the odd rotten floor board? ... who knows it probably just a matter of time before something in this house gets me!

In short thanks for the answers, I'm not in the dark now (yet) 1970's wasn't a good time for wiring, lets hope that the 1950's were as that's how old his wiring is!

cheers..

sidecar_jon said:
No, because we made the mistake of letting British Gas in last year.

As far as I can remember from my conversations with BG engineers, they do not do PIR's.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back